Food Business Regulation Support in Cornwall

A food business could be anything from a cafe or deli, to a restaurant.

Before you get started with your food business, there's some things you need to have in place. You need to:

  • Be registered as a food business (even if you're only selling drinks)
  • Make sure all your staff have a Food Hygiene Level 2 (minimum) qualification
  • Have a robust Food Management System in place
  • Make sure all staff have sufficient demonstrable knowledge of the 14 allergens
  • Contact business rates
  • Contact planning and building control (if you're changing the use of your building)

Food Business Support Services

Need Further Help?

If you would like to discuss your business needs, please get in touch with the Business Regulatory Support team via email at or call 0300 1234 212. Alternatively you can follow the link below to use our online contact form.

Contact Business Support

Self service information for food businesses

We have gathered a range of relevant information for food businesses which may help you on your way to getting the appropriate regulations in place. 

  • - Food business - Find advice and guidance about food, catering and retail including how to register your food business, food labelling and packaging and how to write an HACCP food plan.
  • Business Companion - Labelling packaged goods - find out about the labelling requirements for packaged food products, including claims and nutritional labelling
  • Sandwich labelling - Find advice and guidance about labelling packaged sandwiches
  • Sweet labelling - Find advice and guidance about labelling sweets and confectionary
  • Allergen labelling - Find advice and guidance about labelling allergen information for your food products
  • Business Companion - Advice on the rules on selling goods by weight or measure: quantity, labelling, equipment and inspections
  • Business Companion - Advice on the rules for the labelling and composition of jam, marmalade, mincemeat and other similar products
  • Business Companion - Guidance and information on labelling requirements for honey producers, including country of origin
  • Business Companion - Guidance on the information you need to provide on colours in the foodstuffs you sell or produce
  • 'Organic' products - Guidance on when it is permissible to use the term 'organic' in product descriptions
  • Supplying food products in a foreign language - If you supply food products you must ensure that certain compulsory information is given in English
  • Date marking - Advice on recognising the importance of date marking of foodstuffs and when lot marking is necessary
  • Disposing of Surplus food - Advice on the disposal of foods that are of animal origin that must be disposed of safely to control the risk of disease to both animals and humans
  • Food labelling for caterers - The essentials of food labelling for restaurants, takeaways, etc, including some commonly misdescribed examples
  • Safer Food Better Business pack - This food safety management pack helps restaurants, cafés, takeaways and other small catering businesses comply with food hygiene regulations
  • - The Food Standards Agency provide resources for allergen information for your business
  • Importing food - When importing food, you need to know about regulations that apply to specific products and more general rules concerning labelling and additives
  • Exporting food - Advice about commercially exporting food and feed to countries outside of the UK
  • Tender opportunities - Information for Trading on Council owned sites across the Duchy
  • The Food Hygiene Rating Scheme - (FHRS) in England, Wales and Northern Ireland helps consumers choose where to eat out or shop for food by giving them information about the hygiene standards in restaurants, takeaways and food shops.
  • Register as a food and/or drink business - You need to be registered before you can start trading
  • CLAW consultancy - Food businesses in particular often require monitoring to ensure their water quality meets relevant standards and doesn't pose a risk to health. 
  • Food business start up - This section gives you all the advice you need to start a food business.
  • Food safety hazards - If you run a food business, you must have a plan based on the Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) principles.
  • Pedlars certificate - The certificate lets you sell throughout the UK. You must trade on foot and carry your goods with you
  • Labelling for fishmongers - The essentials of food labelling for a fishmonger, including legal names of species and use of the term smoked
  • Health and safety for caterers - This site provides information for people working in the catering and hospitality industry on how to comply with health and safety law
  • The Nationwide Caterers Association - NCASS is the UK’s only trade association for mobile caterers and street food traders. You probably already knew that.

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service