Over 7,500 businesses in Cornwall deal with food in some way. We support businesses to help them handle food in a safe and hygienic way.
Our Food Safety Officers carry out the following functions.
- Food hygiene inspections of all registered food premises
- Revisits to check compliance following an inspection or the service of notices
- We run the Food Hygiene Rating Scheme in partnership with the Food Standards Agency
- Enforcement activity such as written warnings, improvement notices and formal cautions
- Enforcement action is undertaken under Public Protection and Business Support's Enforcement Policy
- We investigate complaints about conditions of premises and fitness of food.
We provide information about food alerts
- We respond and investigate reports of food poisoning and food borne illness
- We undertake food sampling in accordance with LACORS and local food sub-group initiatives
- Disposal of unfit food using voluntary surrender or seizure procedures
- We provide training in partnership with local colleges on food safety matters
- Risk based inspections of fish markets
- Imported food issues including documentation, identification and physical checks
Guidance leaflets on food hygiene issues are available by contacting us:
telephone: 0300 1234 212
Other organisations that monitor food safety
Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.Use our contact us form
- Environment Health and Licensing
- 0300 1234 212