The Food Hygiene Rating Scheme (FHRS) is run in partnership with the Food Standards Agency (FSA). It is the national scheme, providing consumers with an easy to understand single scheme across the UK.
How we work out the ratings
Local food businesses are inspected to make sure that all food handled and prepared is safe to eat.
After a premises has been inspected it is given a rating based on the findings of the inspection. The rating goes from:
- zero (indicating that the business needs to improve their standards);
- to five (which will mean that consumers can be confident that high standards are being maintained).
You can view and search for premises in Cornwall that have been given a rating on the Food Standards Agency website.
Food Standards Agency food hygiene website
Three areas of the inspection are assessed having regard to food law
- food hygiene
- structure and cleanliness
- confidence in management
The rating will not take into account the quality of food or service.
The businesses are asked to display their award sticker. If they wish to do so a business may:
- appeal their score
- request a revisit (rescore)
- and/or post a ‘right of reply’
Please use the following forms to request any of these services.
- Food Ratings Appeal Form (PDF)
- Food Ratings Appeal Form (Word)
- Food Ratings Revisit Rescore Form (PDF)
- Food Ratings Revisit Rescore Form (Word)
- Food Ratings Right To Reply Form (PDF)
- Food Ratings Right To Reply Form (Word)
For further information on the food hygiene rating scheme, please visit the Foods Standards Agency website.
The food hygiene rating scheme is not an endorsement of current standards. It reflects the score we awarded a premises at the time of their inspection. We try to ensure the information on these pages is correct. We aim to follow the FSA's brand standard for the food hygiene rating scheme.
It may take up to 28 days after an inspection for the new rating to appear on the FSA website.
Help for food businesses
Food businesses wanting to improve or retain their food hygiene rating can take advantage of our Gain or Retain 5 service.
Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.
- Environment Health and Licensing
- 0300 1234 212