Householder guidance

Please read our information on how we are supporting residents and businesses, as well as information on affected services.

This page contains links to:

  • websites and
  • documents

specifically for development to dwellings and flats.  This is householder development.

Householder design guide

The Householder design guide is being replaced by the draft Design Guide 2019.

Do I need planning permission?

You can make some changes to your house without planning permission. This is "permitted development"

The Planning Portal has a tool for householder permitted development rights. The interactive guide gives information about household projects.

Find out if you need planning permission: Do I need planning consent or building regulations form. This service:

  • has a fee
  • provides an informal response. 

Our fees and charges document gives more information.

lawful development certificate will give a formal response.

Householder submissions guide

The Householder submissions guide contains:

  • advice on submitting a householder planning application
  • details of the documents needed with an application.

Meeting the planning application requirements does not guarantee planning permission. The Planning Officer will decide each application on its own merits. 

You can benefit from this guide:

  • if you follow the guidance
  • we will register your application as soon as possible.

Householder validation documents

The validation checking service can help register your application. This service:

  • is subject to a fee
  • can speed up registration.

Ecology advice for work on eaves and roofs

Householders and contractors must ensure that:

  • bats and
  • wild birds

are not affected. Please seek advice if you are in any doubt.

Swifts swallows and house martins

Swifts, swallows and house martins are amongst the most endearing of British breeding birds. They are not resident here all year.  They arrive in Britain in the spring to breed.

Cornwall Council has produced guidance for:

  • developers
  • builders
  • surveyors
  • architects and
  • householders.

This link takes you to the guidance document: Accommodating swallows, swifts and house martins.

Useful advice and information can be found at:

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service