Design Quality is vital to Cornwall’s planning agenda. There has never been a more critical time to create and take up opportunities to make new development better. Improving the quality of our places and buildings will help us respond positively to:
- climate change and
- the drive for our residents to lead healthier lives
We have produced a new draft Cornwall Design Guide and a new draft Streetscape Design Guide. These will help to achieve these aims.
The Cornwall Design Guide aims to support the Cornwall Local Plan. It provides a guide to delivering high quality places to live for Cornwall. The new Design Guide refreshes the current guide to boost design quality.
The draft Cornwall Streetscape Design Guide will support:
- the new Cornwall Design Guide and
- the policy in Connecting Cornwall: 2030 Local Transport Plan.
It will provide guidance to develop streets and public spaces to a high quality.
The Cornwall Design Review Panel (CDRP) draws on a pool of external design expertise. This is supported by experienced officers from within the Council.
The purpose of the Design Review Panel is to encourage design excellence in both the public and private sectors. It can:
- review development proposals within Cornwall and
- provide constructive guidance to developers, clients and their appointed agents.
The aim is to enhance the quality of the design of significant projects.
Other related guidance
The new guides will sit alongside other guidance documents including:
- Chief Planning Officer's Advice Note on Good Design in Cornwall
- Distinctiveness Toolkit (coming soon)
- Cornwall and West Devon Mining Landscape World Heritage Site SPD
- Conservation Area Appraisals and Management Plans
- Cornwall Building Stone and Slate Guide - available on request
- Cornwall Materials Guide - coming soon. This document will provide guidance on natural building materials, textures and colours. If you have any information which may be beneficial please contact email@example.com)
- Biodiversity Guide
Neighbourhood Planning Groups may also be interested in our: