Making an application

Types of application

There are four types of Building Regulation application:

The different types of application and our fees are explained further down this page.

Make an application

When you are ready to submit your Building Control application you can do this by pressing the first blue button below. The button will take you to the Planning Portal website.

Unfortunately the Planning Portal website does not currently link to our online payment system. After you have submitted your Building Control application, you can return to this page to pay your Building Control fee.

The Planning Portal will not charge you any extra fees for using their website to submit your Building Control application to us.

Submit a Building Control application online using the Planning Portal

Applications can be made via email using the application forms below.

We also receive documents via file sharing systems such as DropBox and We Transfer

Application forms

Pay for your application

Once you have submitted your Building Control application using the Planning Portal link above you can pay your Building Control fee below.

If your architect or agent has already submitted your Building Control application and has asked you to pay the Building Control fee, you can also use the payment link below.

For these payments you will need:

  • The site/building address
  • Either your Building Control reference number
  • Or the Planning Portal ‘proposal reference number’

If we have sent you a formal invoice you can also pay these online. Please select sundry debtors from the list of payments. You will need your invoice number.

Pay for your Building Control application online

Our phone lines are often busy so payment online is usually the easiest and quickest way of paying us.

As an alternative you can make telephone payments on 01872 224792 press option 3

Full Plans

A Full Plans application is suitable for all types of building work.  If you are doing work to a commercial building, you must submit a Full Plans application.  Detailed plans and a full specification of the construction are needed together with the appropriate fee.

The plans are checked by a surveyor. Any areas which do not meet the regulations will be identified and discussed with yourself or your agent. This can help avoid delays and increased costs.

Your plans will be approved if they show compliance. Sometimes we issue a conditional approval where areas are unclear or information is required from a third party.

  • you may wish to use an architect or agent
  • draw scaled plans
  • provide a location plan showing the boundary of your site edged in red
  • include a full specification
  • find out the plan charge
  • contact us if you need help or further advice

Building Notice

You can use a Building Notice if you are doing simple work to a domestic building. It is the simpler of the two methods as plans and a specification are not required.  You will need to provide a location plan showing the boundary of your site edged in red.

When you have a site visit, you will need to explain about your proposed construction methods.   Building Notice fees are generally 20% more than a Full Plans application. This is because we have not viewed detailed plans in advance. 

A Building Notice application is not allowed for:

  • work to non-domestic buildings
  • holiday accommodation
  • flats which have common areas
  • where the works involve building over or within 3 metres of the public sewer on any building

Regularisation Applications

If you have completed work and did not submit an application, you can apply for a regularisation certificate.  Further information is available in the guidance document below. Only Local Authority Building Control can deal with works that have already started on site.

Reversion Application

Your application must revert to the Local Authority if:

  • you have used a private 'Approved Inspector' for your building project and
  • the work has already started and they are unable to continue

Examples of when this may happen could be:

  • when the Approved Inspector has failed to get insurance.
  • if an Approved Inspector ceases trading.
  • when there are unresolved issues/contraventions on site.

Only the Local Authority Building Control team can approve work.  The work cannot transfer to another Approved Inspector.

To submit a reversion application, please complete the application form, tick reversion and email to . Please provide as much information about the project as possible about the project. We will then assess the details and provide a bespoke fee quote.

Regulation 25a

Before construction of a new building starts, the person carrying out the work must:

  • analyse and take into account high-efficiency alternative energy systems
  • give a statement to Building Control to confirm that the analysis is complete

Please see our guidance on Regulation 25a - Consideration of high efficiency alternative energy systems for new buildings


Charges are payable for all applications unless providing facilities for disabled persons.

Our charges are set on a cost recovery basis. Standard charges cover most types of building work.

For any charges queries please ring 01872 224792 press option 2 for advice.

Hints and tips

  • Familiarise yourself with our Scheme of Charges. This document will also help you complete the work type and category of work questions. Please note that our non-domestic charges are not published online. 
  • Bespoke charges must be entered as the net amount.
  • Registered users - Recommended for frequent users. Once registered your details will be retained.  It gives you the option of being able to save and exit your application form any stage of the process. You will also be able to access completed and draft submissions.
  • Please contact the Technical Support team if you need help when trying to apply.
  • Familiarise yourself with the Building control privacy policy

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service