Dangerous structures and public safety

We've recently updated this webpage to provide you with the most relevant and useful information.  Your feedback is important to us.

Please take a moment to give your feed back.  At the bottom of this page, you'll find a fact that matches your experience.  Click on it and then fill out the short feedback form.  Thank you.

View Or Report Dangerous Structures

We have the power to ensure that dangerous buildings are made safe.  Use this page to report a dangerous structure or appeal a dangerous structure notice.

Reporting a dangerous structure

You can tell us about a dangerous building or structure at any time.

Use the What3Words map to locate your issue.

When you call, quote the What3Words address.  We will then be able to find the exact location of the dangerous structure.

Call 01872 224792 to report a dangerous structure- you can call 24 hours a day.

What is a dangerous structure?

A dangerous structure can include all or part of a building or structure. The danger can be to an occupant or members of the public.

These can include:

  • loose or falling roof tiles;
  • walls next to public paths and footways that are in danger of collapse;
  • unstable chimneys;
  • larger buildings that become unstable.

Structures can become dangerous for many reasons, including lack of maintenance or damage.

Weather, fire and accidents can be the cause of dangerous structures.

How do you make dangerous structures safe again?

Building Control inspect all reported cases and deal with each case on merit or degree of danger. We will visit imminent dangerous structures within 2 hours of notification.

If a building or structure you own is dangerous, you are responsible for making it safe again.

If the property is not an immediate danger, we will give the owner reasonable time to remove the danger. 

If the property is an imminent danger, we will make every effort to contact the owner before we act. 

If we need to act immediately to remove a danger, we will ensure that we make every effort to contact the owner. If we are unable to contact them, we will authorise the works required. 

Who pays for the works to make the structure safe? 

If we need to take immediate works to a property, we will recover costs from the owner of the property. The costs will include officer time taken. 

What is a Dangerous Structure Notice? 

The Council can serve legal notices to ensure dangerous structures are made safe. These can be Section 77 or Section 78 notices. We maintain a list of current dangerous structure notices. 

View dangerous structure notices >Can I appeal a Dangerous Structure Notice? 

If you have received a dangerous structure notice, you can appeal it under Section 102 and Section 103 of The Building Act 1984. Include details of your dangerous structure notice, like your reference number and address. 

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service