Information for hosts

Become a Homes for Ukraine host 

Please contact Cornwall Council Resettlement Service to register your interest. 

Register your interest here

Information regarding expectations of hosts:

The below webpage has information for hosts regarding guests' arrival and accessing services:

Your guests may require help applying for a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

Once a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) application has been made, if you are experiencing delays or issues, the Ukrainian Refugee Help webpage can offer advice.

Essential information to support guests pre and post arrival in the UK can be found below. 

Topics include:

  • Applying to the Homes for Ukraine Scheme
  • Arriving and living in the UK
  • Access benefits and essential services
  • Work and tax
  • Education
  • Health

The Government web page Homes for Ukraine: Guidance for guests is also available in Ukrainian and Russian.

Useful things for hosts to consider

  • Introduction to the host family, contact details and host family schedules
  • UK SIM cards
  • Living space
  • Information relating to the property, for example:
    • heating
    • securing the property
    • rubbish and recycling collection
    • emergency contacts 
  • House rules - if space is being shared. 

Introduction to your local area

  • A map of the local area, with key places. such as school, GP surgery marked on.
  • Bus and train timetables for your local area
  • Useful contacts, for example GP, Jobcentre, Citizens Advice Bureau
  • UK money – value of coins and notes and other ways to pay

Useful links:

Cornwall Council process for host applications

Following an expression of interest in becoming a Homes for Ukraine host, Cornwall Council will follow a set process. A safeguarding system check, property check and host applicant family DBS check will be undertaken.

There will be an initial check of existing Council data. This is to screen for any known safeguarding concerns related either to the individual host or the property.

Please contact with any queries regarding this.

Following initial checks, any concerns will be discussed.

A Safeguarding panel of Cornwall Council staff will meet to discuss any concerns raised through:

  • the initial checks
  • the DBS process
  • the property check

At the initial property check proof of identification for the DBS process will be sought. Resettlement Service colleagues will take photographic evidence of identification documents.

All adults within the host applicant household must provide identification documents. This is before an application can progress. 

A list of accepted Identification documents for Basic and Enhanced DBS checks is included below. Cornwall Council Resettlement Service will inform hosts which type of DBS check is required for each application.

Hosts will be contacted by Cornwall Council if further information is required and with an outcome.

The Property Check – Information Required document details the initial information requested for a property check. Hosts may find this information helpful. But all details will be discussed at the property check visit.  

Message to host families regarding safeguarding Homes for Ukraine families on social media

Hosts are showing tremendous good-will in offering space in their property or own homes for Homes for Ukraine families.

Sometimes, to support these families, hosts are using social media to request resources from the public. These include clothes, school uniform, toys and so on.

Unfortunately, sharing information regarding the whereabouts of Homes for Ukraine families, and any personal details may put them at risk.

Hosts are advised to avoid using social media to make these requests.

Instead, please contact the relevant school, local community organisation or Cornwall Refugee Resettlement Network for advice.

Advice regarding the use of social media:

  • Don’t photograph or publicly identify anyone on social media without their informed and explicit consent.
  • Don’t photograph or publicly identify any child (under 18 years) on social media without the informed and explicit consent of their parent or guardian.
  • Don’t ask any vulnerable adult or child (under 18 Years) to publicly participate in any event without their informed and explicit consent. Or the informed and explicit consent of their parent or guardian.

For further information about safeguarding, please see the below links:

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service