Skip to content

Health information

Everyone in the UK is entitled to use the National Health Service (NHS).

The first step is to register with a general practitioner (called a GP or family doctor). 

How to register with GP surgery

Find a GP that suits what you need. Some GP surgeries offer more services than others. You can look up GP surgeries to see what they offer and how they compare.

Find a GP

Because of coronavirus (COVID-19), try to avoid going into a GP surgery to register.

You can:

  • check the GP surgery website to see if you can register online
  • call or email the GP surgery and ask to be registered as a patient

You can download a GMS1 registration for on the Governement website if you are asked to complete one.

Download a GMS1 registration form 

You do not need proof of ID to register with a GP, but it might help of you have one or more of the following:

  • passport
  • birth certificate
  • HC2 certificate
  • rough sleepers' identity badge
  • hostel or accommodation registration or mail forwarding letter

Useful links

Dental Treatment

There is no need to register with a dentist in the same way as with a GP because you are not bound to a catchment area.

Simply find a dental surgery that's convenient for you, whether it's near your home or work, and phone them to see if there are any appointments available.

You can search for an NHS dentist near you on this site.

If after contacting several dental surgeries you still cannot find a dentist accepting NHS patients, call NHS England's Customer Contact Centre on 0300 311 2233.

Free Dental care with an HC2 certificate

A HC2 form is a certificate delivered by the NHS allowing you to get full help with your healthcare expenses.

People who are refugees with settled status can apply for and obtain an HC2 certificate which entitles them to free dental care with Smile Together, a B Corp certified dental practice in multiple locations in Cornwall.

Dental emergencies

In the case of a dental emergency, unregistered patients who don’t have a dentist should call Smile Together on 0333 405 0290. A dentist will give advice about the dental problem and any patients who require emergency treatment will be referred to an Urgent Dental Care Hub. 

If it is out of hours, call NHS 111.

If an HC2 is produced, treatment will be free of charge, otherwise normal NHS patient charge applies.

British Red Cross

The Red Cross can often help you do this, depending on where you are in the UK.

Local Refugee Service for Cornwall 

Call:  01752 831619

Dental Charges

Find out more about NHS dental charges

What to do if you need to access emergency dental care in Cornwall

If you aren’t registered with a dentist, call or email the Cornwall dental helpline on:

T: 0333 405 0290

If you have an emergency out of hours please call NHS 111.

Finding a pharmacy

Find a pharmacy

Emotional support

It is common to feel a lot of different emotions after leaving your homeland.

Call the British Red Cross Support Line

You can call the British Red Cross support line, which provides help in more than 200 languages.

It helps people who are lonely, worried and finding it hard to get the help they need in the UK. 

Call us on 0808 196 3651 (open daily 10am - 6pm) and you can ask for an interpreter if you need one.

If you need a support line interpreter, call and say: 'can I speak to an interpreter?'.

  • Якщо вам потрібен перекладач лінії підтримки, зателефонуйте і скажіть: 'can I speak to an interpreter?' (Ukrainian)
  • Если вам нужен переводчик линии поддержки, позвоните и скажите: 'can I speak to an interpreter?' (Russian)

The British Red Cross website also has lots of supporting information in Ukranian, including wellbeing resources.

Britis Red Cross Help for Refugees

Help when you feel at your worst

If you are feeling very distressed, call The Samaritans on 116 123 or email

Mental Health

There are many ways you can keep your mental health fit and well, just as you would your physical health.

Having a healthy mind, and recognising what to do if you start to have a wobble, can help you to avoid getting into a crisis.

Our mental health is just as important as our physical health. Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad. We've got help and advice however you're feeling.

Psychosocial Innovation Network

Psychosocial Innovation Network are Specialist psychologists in trauma and refugee support.

They provide free online counselling and psychological support for refugees from Ukraine in English, Russian or Ukrainian. You can use WhatsApp/Viber/Skype/Zoom.

Barnardo’s: Children’s Charity

Dedicated Ukrainian Support Helpline with access to interpreters in Ukrainian and Russian.

Helpline hours are Monday – Friday 10.00am - 8.00pm and Saturday 10.00am - 3.00pm. Phone on 0800 148 8586 or by email or complete the online contact form.

Child Bereavement Support

Child Bereavement UK has translated some of its resources on supporting bereaved children into Ukrainian and created accompanying translations for animations to help children manage and understand their feelings.

View the resources:

They also have a Helpline for guidance and information for individuals, families and professionals on 0800 02 888 40. The support team is available to respond to calls, Live Chat and email 9am – 5pm, Monday to Friday, except Bank Holidays.

Mental health response line – 0800 038 5300.

Mental health information pages

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service