Civil marriages are marriages which are non-religious and are conducted by the local Superintendent Registrar. To have a religious ceremony you must get married in a Church.

The waiting period for a Notice of Marriage is 28 clear days for all couples.

They can take place in a registration office or an approved venue, such as stately homes, castles, town and country hotels, licensed by the local authority.

Under current legislation a civil ceremony cannot take place in the open air.

The getting married in Cornwall brochure includes a full list of approved Venues and more information on ceremonies in Cornwall. 

You can find more information about booking your ceremony in our ceremony booking guide

Download our Ceremony Booking Guide

Please also read our frequently asked questions

Have you thought of using Cornish to make your wedding that bit more special?

You can find Cornish language resources and more information about translations on the Cornish Language pages.

You can choose to marry in any registration office or approved venue within or outside your district of residence.

If you choose to marry in a venue outside the district of your residence, you must provisionally book a date with the approved venue and the registration officer in that area before you make any firm arrangements. This is to ensure that you can have the date and time you want, and that the registration officers are available to conduct the ceremony.