Have you just bought or taken over a new property or are you looking to diversify income streams on an existing business?
Would you like to join the exciting and dynamic wedding industry operating in Cornwall and help to make the dreams of over 4,000 couples per year come true?
We are the licensing body for approximately 170 approved wedding venues across the county. With venues ranging from hotels and stately houses to biomes, caverns and even a jail, there really is something for everyone.
A licenced venue can hold legally binding marriage and civil partnership ceremonies within their designated areas. They can also offer non legal ceremonies such as naming and renewal of vows ceremonies.
Before you apply
- The venue must have no recent or ongoing religious connections
- The venue must be readily available for use by the public for civil ceremonies
- The venue must have undertaken a thorough risk assessment and dealt immediately with any findings
- The venue must be available at all reasonable times for inspection by the local authority
- Each licence instalment lasts for 3 years
Who can apply
We can only accept an application to license a venue from the owner, trustee or an authorised person from that venue
How to apply
Please let us know if you are interested in Licensing a venue by either calling 0300 1234 181 (option 3) or email AV.Licensing@cornwall.gov.uk.
We will arrange a visit with one of our Licensing and Business Development Officers. They will come and see the venue, chat through the options with you and discuss how to progress forward.
Please note due to legislation the licence cannot be granted unless all the criteria are met.
- Marriage Act 1949
- Civil Partnership Act 2004
- The Marriages and Civil Partnerships (Approved Premises) Regulations 2005
- The Marriages and Civil Partnerships (Approved Premises)(Amendment) Regulations 2011
- Equality Act 2010
Responsible Person’s Resources
- Responsible Person’s Guidelines - to assist with the management of ceremony arrangements
- Approved Premises marriage notice template - please replace our branding with your own
- Approved Premises civil partnership notice template - please replace our branding with your own
Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.