Have you just bought or taken over a new property or are you looking to diversify income streams on an existing business?
Would you like to join the exciting and dynamic wedding industry operating in Cornwall and help to make the dreams of over 4,000 couples per year come true?
We are the licensing body for approximately 170 approved wedding venues across the county. With venues ranging from hotels, stately homes and quirky hideaways to biomes, caverns, campsites and outdoor attractions, there really is something for everyone.
A licenced venue can hold legally binding marriage and civil partnership ceremonies within their designated areas. They can also offer non legal ceremonies such as naming and renewal of vows ceremonies.
Before you apply
- The venue must have no recent or ongoing religious connections
- The venue must be readily available for use by the public for civil ceremonies
- The venue must have undertaken thorough health and safety and fire risk assessments and dealt satisfactorily with any findings
- The venue must be available at all reasonable times for inspection by the local authority
- Each licence instalment lasts for 3 years
Who can apply
We can only accept an application to license a venue from the owner, trustee or an authorised person from that venue.
How to apply
Please let us know if you are interested in Licensing a venue by either calling 0300 1234 181 (option 3) or email AV.Licensing@cornwall.gov.uk.
We will send you an application pack and arrange a visit with one of our Licensing and Business Development Officers. They will meet you at the venue, chat through various options and discuss how to progress forward.
If you would like to apply for a civil ceremony licence, please use this application form:
If you would like to renew your civil ceremony licence, please use this application form:
Guidance notes to help complete the application forms are as follows:
Application Form - Guidance Notes
Fees from 1 April 2023
Please note due to legislation the licence cannot be granted unless all the criteria are met.
- Marriage Act 1949
- Civil Partnership Act 2004
- The Marriages and Civil Partnerships (Approved Premises) Regulations 2005
- The Marriages and Civil Partnerships (Approved Premises)(Amendment) Regulations 2011
- Equality Act 2010
Responsible Person’s Resources
- Responsible Person’s Guidelines - to assist with the management of ceremony arrangements
- Approved Premises marriage notice template - please replace our branding with your own
- Approved Premises civil partnership notice template - please replace our branding with your own
Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.
- Civil ceremony licensing enquiries
- Licencing and Business Development Team,
New County Hall,
- 0300 1234 181