Giving Notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership

Please read our information on how we are supporting residents and businesses, as well as information on affected services.

Legal preliminaries to getting married or forming a civil partnership in England and Wales

Before you can get married or form a civil partnership, you must each give formal notice of marriage or civil partnership. This must be in person at a Registration Office in the district where you live.

There are two types of notice of marriage or civil partnership appointments available. Further information on the documents you need is available below:

You are required to have lived in the district for at least 7 full consecutive days and nights immediately before giving notice. Cornwall is one registration district so you may give notice at any of our Registration Offices

Appointments are face-to-face. Most of our offices are open (except Falmouth and Launceston). For details and opening hours of our offices, please visit our Registration Offices page.

To book an appointment please contact us on 0300 1234 181. Phone lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. Or you can complete our online form to request an appointment.

Request an appointment to give notice of marriage or civil partnership

Please note that we are experiencing high demand for appointments following the national suspension of services and other COVID-19 restrictions. There may be several weeks delay before an appointment is available.

Please note that customers are requested to wear a face covering when attending an appointment (unless exempted).

Request an appointment to give notice of marriage or civil partnership

When attending the registration office please wear a face-covering unless you are exempt.

Please do not attend the registration office if

  • you or someone in your household is showing any symptoms of Covid-19
  • your travel is restricted or you are required to self-isolate or quarantine

If you are unable to attend your appointment please contact us on 0300 1234 181 or email us at

Notice period

The waiting period between giving notice and when a ceremony can take place is currently 28 clear days*. The schedule for marriage will be issued on the 29th day after giving notice and is valid for twelve months from the date of your appointment. This schedule will usually be kept by the Registration Office local to where you intend to marry, prior to the ceremony.

*Non relevant nationals

For couples where one or both parties are not relevant nationals and subject to immigration control, your application to marry will be referred to the Home Office and they may extend the notice period to 70 days. Additional fees may apply at the point where the registration officer takes your legal notice. 

Other areas

There are different rules if you want to get married or form a civil partnership in:

Further information

More detailed information can be found on the website:

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service