Skip to content

How property owners can help with housing

Do you have: 

  • a spare room
  • an empty property or
  • an unused annexe**

which could provide a home for a person or family in need of somewhere to live in Cornwall?

There is unprecedented pressure on housing in Cornwall. We want to work with the public to make better use of existing homes and properties to help meet this need. You can find information on the ways you could help and what we can offer in return.  Schemes vary and support for householders can be either financial or practical.

**Please note: Self-contained annexes may be restricted to family members via planning condition. You may need to apply for planning if you wish to use it for a long term let.  You can find more information at: Removal/variation of conditions - Planning Portal. You can also email if you have a question about a planning condition on an annexe.

Private Sector Leasing (PSL)

This scheme is for self-contained properties offering longer term temporary accommodation.  This is typically for 3 to 5 years. The Council can lease your property and rent it to a homeless person or family.  Rent is paid to the owner in line with the Local Housing Allowance.  We manage the property during the lease and return it to the owner in the same condition as at the start of the lease.

The Council also offers an Empty Property Loan Scheme that could help bring properties to the Cornwall Rental Standard.

For more information, please email our Housing Commissioning team at

Private Letting Service

Our private letting service helps private landlords let their property smoothly and quickly.  This service: 

  • manages over 200 properties currently
  • is competitively priced for landlords

If you are a landlord with a property to let, you can find out more at:

Private Letting Service

Supportmatch Homeshare

Cornwall Council has teamed up with the Supportmatch Homeshare Service to offer this scheme. It is for householders with a spare room who would like practical support and companionship. Homesharers need affordable accommodation and will provide around 10-15 hours flexible support to the householder each week. Checks and safeguarding are key parts of the service.

Supportmatch Homeshare can improve quality of life for both householder and homesharer. Find out more about a recent match in Hayle

Supportmatch Homeshare Cornwall

Homes for Ukraine

You can host families in your own home or another property.  The minimum host time is six months.  Sponsor safeguarding checks and vetting is part of this scheme.  Sponsors receive £500 per household each month to host a refugee family.

If you wish to become a sponsor, you need to register first on the Government Homes for Ukraine website.

Homes for Ukraine Cornwall

Homes for young people in Cornwall

Fostering – Foster carers can own or rent a home.  All you need is to be able to provide a safe and stable home to help children between 10 and 17 thrive. 

You can find out more about these schemes on the Council’s Fostering webpages:

Foster - Cornwall Council16+ Supported Lodgings - We are looking to recruit landlords who have a room or annexe to rent and want to offer support for 16-17 year olds leaving care.

More information on Supported Lodgings is available at:

16+ Supported Lodgings

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service