Design Quality is vital to Cornwall’s planning agenda. There has never been a more critical time to create and take up opportunities to make new development better. Improving the quality of our places and buildings will positively support:
- tackling climate change
- healthier lives for our residents
- high quality streets and public spaces
The Cornwall Design Guide and Chief Officer's Advice Note on Good Design in Cornwall boost design quality and are material considerations in determining planning applications. For larger residential-led applications, you may wish to look at Homes England's Building for a Healthy Life and new Streets for a Healthy Life.
We will also prepare a new Cornwall-wide Design Code and support Neighbourhood Planning Groups in preparing their own design codes in line with the National Model Design Code.
Cornwall Design Guide
The Cornwall Design Guide was adopted in December 2021. It provides a guide to delivering high quality places to live for Cornwall. It includes our streetscape design guide.
The Design Guide supports:
- the Cornwall Local Plan
- the Climate Emergency Development Plan Document and
- the policy in Connecting Cornwall: 2030 Local Transport Plan.
The design guide is a 'living document'. We will update it as required.
We welcome comments on the guide. You can email feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
Cornwall Design Review Panel
The Cornwall Design Review Panel (CDRP) draws on a pool of external design expertise. This is supported by experienced officers from within the Council.
The purpose of the Design Review Panel is to encourage design excellence in both the public and private sectors. It can:
- review development proposals within Cornwall and
- provide constructive guidance to developers, clients and their appointed agents.
The aim is to enhance the quality of the design of significant projects.
Other related guidance
The new guides will sit alongside other guidance documents including:
- Distinctiveness Toolkit (coming soon)
- Cornwall and West Devon Mining Landscape World Heritage Site SPD
- Conservation Area Appraisals and Management Plans
- Cornwall Building Stone and Slate Guide - available on request
- Cornwall Materials Guide - coming soon. This document will provide guidance on natural building materials, textures and colours. If you have any information which may be beneficial please contact email@example.com)
- Biodiversity Guide
Neighbourhood Planning Groups may also be interested in our: