Money off council tax for students

Student only households

Halls of residence are automatically exempt please see more information below.

Full-time students who don't live in Halls don't usually need to pay council tax, if everyone in the household is a full-time student.  But you must claim an exemption, it is not automatic.

Apply for a student discount or exemption

If you're a student or you live with students

You may be able to get a reduction or exemption on your bill:

  • If everyone at the property is a student, the property is exempt. However, one of you must still apply for this exemption
  • If one household member (over 18) isn't a student, the property can't be exempt. However, you may still be able to get a discount
  • If two or more household members (over 18) arent students, there are no student reductions. However, there may be other help available.

You are classed as a full-time student for council tax if:

  • You are 18 or over and at college, university or similar
  • Your course lasts at least 24 weeks in the year and
  • It involves at least 21 hours of study a week; and
  • The college or university considers your course to be full-time

In addition:

  • Your college or university must be in the UK or the European Union. You don't have to attend. You can be engaged in distance learning as long as you meet the other student criteria
  • You must live in the UK

Apply for a student discount or exemption

Part time students

Part-time students have to pay council tax. They may be able to get Council Tax Support to help pay it.

One part-time student sharing with one full-time student. There is a 25 per cent reduction for the full-time student. The part-time student is responsible for the rest of the bill. They may qualify for Council Tax Support.

If two or more part-time students share with full-time students. It doesn't matter how many full-time students, there is no reduction. The part-time students are responsible for the whole bill. They may qualify for Council Tax Support if they have low incomes.

One part-time student living with one non-student. There is no reduction. Both are responsible for the bill. They may be able to get Council Tax Support to help with it if they have low incomes.

Apply for a student discount or exmeption

Foreign students with overseas partner or dependant

If you are a foreign full-time student with a partner or dependant who is not a British citizen and is not allowed to work or claim benefits, you will not have to pay council tax while you are studying.

You will have to send us a copy of your partner's passport with the other student details that we need for you.

Apply for a student exemption

If your home is empty while you're studying away

If you have a home in Cornwall that's empty while you're away studying you may be able to get money off your bill.

If the home is outside Cornwall you should apply to that council.

Apply for a student exemption

Halls of residence

Advice for students

Student halls of residence are exempt from council tax. If you live in a student hall of residence there is nothing to pay. You don't need to claim an exemption.

To qualify as a student hall of residence the building must be:

  • owned or managed by a charity, or by an educational establishment that mainly provides further or higher education; or
  • included in an agreement that allows an educational establishment to allocate the people who live there.

Advice for Landlords

If you believe your property qualifies as a hall of residence, please apply to register with us.

Apply to register your property as a halls of residence

Disregard or discount ending

Use this form to tell us your disregard or discount should end. You will be asked the date the discount or disregard is to end and the reason.

Once you have submitted this form you will be provided with a reference number.  Please ensure you quote this number along with your council tax account number if you have any queries. 

Tell us your disregard or discount should end


Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service