Help for students

Council Tax

Many students are exempt from paying Council Tax. 

If you live in a hall of residence you will be automatically exempt. 

Students living in other types of accommodation may need to claim an exemption or discount. 

Money off Council Tax for students


In the majority of cases the government expects students to use their own money, like their student loan, to pay their rent.  

If you pay rent you may want to visit our page on Housing Benefit for students to see if you are entitled to any help.

Housing Benefit for students

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service