Skip to content


Most problems can be solved online. It's the quickest and most convenient way to get help. 

View the most frequently asked information and the solutions for those below.

Housing or council tax benefits

Housing benefit helps people on low incomes pay their rent. It’s not available for mortgage repayments.

Council tax support helps people on low incomes pay their council tax. There are different rules for claiming housing benefit and council tax support.

You may be able to claim one or both.

View our benefits information

Change of circumstances

If you receive housing benefit or council tax support, you must tell us immediately if:

  • you or
  • the people living with you

have any changes in circumstances.

Some changes may mean you are entitled to more benefits. Others could mean you no longer qualify for benefits or should receive a lower amount. Always report any change in circumstances as soon as it happens.

Tell us that something has changed

View your benefits information online

Once you have registered, our self service pages give you instant access to manage and view your benefits. You can also use self service to manage your Business Rates and Council Tax account. Using self service can save you time, effort and money. There is no need for you to visit us, ring us or write to us. You can view and manage your benefits account on line at a time that suits you:

View your claim details

  • Complete and submit a new benefit claim
  • See how your benefits are worked out
  • See when your next housing benefit payments are due
  • View benefit letters and sign up to receive future letters electronically

Manage your benefit claim online

Online benefits calculator

You can use our online calculator to check whether you’re entitled to housing benefit or council tax support. Universal Credit has started to replace Housing Benefit for working age people in Cornwall. Please check whether you are eligible to receive Universal Credit or Housing Benefit.

Use the online benefits calculator

Universal credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit for people of working age who are on a low income or out of work. It is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and replaces:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income Support

Find out more about Universal Credit


Sometimes housing benefit or council tax support may be overpaid.

This usually happens because:

  • You didn't tell us about changes in your circumstances straight away.
  • It takes us a little while to process a change in your circumstances.
  • We make a mistake or another team or organisation gave us wrong information.
  • If we’ve paid you too much housing benefit, we will usually ask you to pay back the amount we’ve overpaid. For overpayments of council tax support, we will add the amount of the overpayment to your council tax bill. Our council tax team will collect the overpayment by increasing your monthly payments.

Find out more on our Council tax support overpayments and Housing benefit overpayment.

Additional information or evidence

If you need to provide additional information or evidence about your Benefits claim, please complete the form below.

Send us additional information or evidence online

Still need help?

If your query is still not answered you can try looking at our benefits information or use the form below.

Request help with something not listed

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service