Universal Credit does not help with Council Tax payments.
You must apply for Council Tax Support separately. You can find out if you may be eligible on our can I claim Council Tax Support page.
About Universal Credit
Universal Credit is a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) benefit delivered by Job Centre Plus for people of working age.
It replaces these benefits with one monthly payment:
- Housing Benefit
- Income Support (IS)
- Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
- Income related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA IR)
- Child Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit
Any new claim to one of these benefits will trigger a claim to Universal Credit instead.
Universal Credit covers housing costs for many people but not all. You’ll need to claim Housing Benefit to help with your rent:
- If you live in supported or temporary housing
- If you are State Retirement Pension age
- If you receive any benefit which includes a Severe Disability Premium
For more information on Universal Credit please visit the Department for Work and Pensions website.
If you are not sure what you are eligible for, just ask us by phoning 0300 1234 121.