Skip to content

Can Universal Credit help to pay my Council Tax

Universal Credit does not help with Council Tax payments. 

You must apply for Council Tax Support separately.

You can find out if you may be eligible on our Can I claim Council Tax Support page.

Find out if you are eligible for Council Tax Support 

About Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) benefit delivered by Job Centre Plus for people of working age.

It replaces these benefits with one monthly payment:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support (IS)
  • Jobseekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA IR)
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

Any new claim to one of these benefits will trigger a claim to Universal Credit instead.

Universal Credit covers housing costs for many people but not all

You’ll need to claim Housing Benefit to help with your rent:

  • If you live in supported or temporary housing
  • If you are State Retirement Pension age
  • If you receive any benefit which includes a Severe Disability Premium

For more information on Universal Credit please visit the Department for Work and Pensions website.

Department for Work and Pensions website

If you are not sure what you are eligible for, please call us 0300 1234 121.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service