Tell us about a change of circumstances

Let us know if something in your life changes that may affect your benefits.

The law says you must tell us if there is any change to the information we used to decide if you get Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support.

Tell us about a change in your circumstances

Which changes should I report?

There are some examples of the sorts of things you need to tell us about below.  If you’re not sure - tell us anyway.

Make sure you tell us as soon as possible.  If you don’t you may not get everything you are entitled to.  Or you may get too much and would have to pay it back or even have your benefit stopped.  You could even face criminal charges for fraud.

Tell us about changes to:

  • Your address: if you move either within Cornwall or outside of the area. 
  • Your home details: for example if your tenancy or rent changes or you have a new landlord, we will need their details. 
  • Your payments: for example if who we need to pay benefit to or the way in which the benefit is paid changes. 
  • Your circumstances and your partners circumstances: for example if your (or your partners) name changes, your job or the benefits you get change, or your income and/or savings change.
  • The people who you live with:  for example their name, job, the benefits they get, or their income and/or savings.  Tell us if someone moves out of your property or a new person moves in.
  • Your children: for example when they leave school and start higher education courses.

The Department for Work and Pensions and HM Revenues and Customs sometimes tell us about a change in the amount of benefits, tax credits or earnings you receive. They will not tell us about other changes in your household, so it is best to tell us about any changes you have.  It remains your responsibility to tell us about any changes.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service