Skip to content

Money off council tax for apprentices, youth trainees or school leavers

If you or someone who lives with you is an apprentice or a youth trainee, you may be entitled to a 25% discount off your Council Tax.

If there are only apprentices and trainees at a property there is a 50% discount.

In limited circumstances, some school-leavers can also qualify for a 25% discount.

Who counts as an apprentice?

Someone who is:

  • employed for the purpose of learning a trade, business or profession;
  • undertaking a programme of training leading to an accredited qualification; and 
  • receiving a salary or allowance (or both) of no more than £195 a week before tax and insurance.

We will ask for proof of your apprenticeship agreement.

Who counts as a Youth trainee?

Youth trainees are under 25. They also have an individual training plan funded by the Skills Funding Agency or Young People's Learning Agency.

We will ask for proof of your training plan.

School leavers

We may be able to make a reduction in Council Tax if there is someone in the property who is:

  • 18 years old, has just left school or college and someone is receiving Child Benefit for them; or
  • they are under 20 and left school or college on or after 1 May and was doing a 'qualifying course'* until that date. In this case, a reduction can only last until 31 October in the same year.

*A 'qualifying course' is one that lasts for three months or more and involves at least 12 hours' study a week for any qualification up to 'A' level

Due to essential maintenance Council tax and benefit forms may have a short interruption between 6-8pm on Tuesday 21 May. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Apply for a discount

Sending us proof

Enclose any evidence of your training plan or apprenticeship agreement with your form and make sure your name and address is on them.

After you've applied for a discount

You must carry on paying your current council tax bill until you hear from us with a decision.

If you get the discount,

  • we will check every year that you're still entitled to it. We’ll cancel your reduction if you do not reply to our yearly letters.
  • Please tell us if your circumstances change, within 21 days, as this may affect your discount. If you don't tell us, you may have to pay a penalty.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service