Can I claim Housing Benefit?

Please read our information on how we are supporting residents and businesses, as well as information on affected services.

If you need help paying your rent, you can claim Housing Benefit if you are of Pension Age. 

Since the introduction of Universal Credit, if you are of working age you can only claim in certain circumstances. You can claim Housing Benefit if you live in:

  • supported accommodation, or
  • temporary or emergency accommodation
  • or if you receive a Severe Disability Premium in your other benefits.  These benefits may include Income Support or Employment and Support Allowance, for example.

In all other instances you need to make a claim for Universal Credit if you need help with housing costs.

How much am I entitled to?

The quickest and easiest way to check if you can get Housing Benefit is to use our online calculator below.

Online benefits calculator

You will need:

  • your details
  • details of anyone else who lives with you

Don’t worry if you don’t have all the information now.  You can save the form and come back to it later.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service

Give feedback about your experience