Skip to content

Traffic management for events and roadworks

Temporary Traffic Regulation Orders (TTROs) maybe required when it is necessary to control traffic along a length of highway

A  TTRO can be applied for: 

  • Road closure
  • Speed restriction
  • Height/Width restriction
  • Weight restriction
  • One-way suspensions or reversals
  • No waiting restrictions

For emergency works a Temporary Traffic Regulation Notice (TTRN) can be issued.

Apply for a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order or Notice

If you are working on behalf of a statutory undertaker they will need to issue a permit and then complete a TTRO Application form.

If you are a private contractor you will need to complete the TTRO application as well as the associated licence. For example; if you need to close the road to install a new water pipe, you will need a Section 50 licence as well as the TTRO. 

If you are unsure of what licence you may require please contact street works using the details on this page.

Download a TTRO application form

Traffic management must be set up by suitably qualified personnel and street works will need to be told of this on the application form. 

How much it costs

Type of TTRO Cost

TTRO full order giving 12 weeks notice


TTRO full order giving less than 12 weeks notice


TTRN 5 or 21 day 


TTRN followed by an order


TTRO Extension


A signing schedule must be provided with the application at the time of submission.  This is a plan of the closure/restriction, approved diversion route and which signs are required and where they are to be located. 

Please note that additional charges may apply if you require a licence to carry out the works.

Closing the road for an event

On occasions you may wish to close the road for an event. Events on the highway generally fall under one of the following types:

  • Street party (big lunch or other)
  • Running (marathon, part of triathlon, etc.)
  • Street market or fayre/fair
  • Carnival or parade (including dances and processions)

Find out about holding a street partyFor all other events you will need to complete an event notification form.

Find out  about organising an event

A minimum of 12 weeks notice is required for the application. If information remains missing or is found to be inadequate within 6 weeks of the closure date then the application will de declined.

How much it costs

Community events:

Event / Activity Road Closure
Small Event (Less than 5000 people)  £58
Large Event (more than 5000 people)  £131
Events of National Significance  No Charge

Commercial events:

Event / Activity Road Closure
Small Event (Less than 5000 people)  At cost*
Large Event (more than 5000 people)  At cost*

One day training course 

The Council has organised a one day training course – “Traffic Management for Community Events”.  This is targeted at people who organise and put out traffic management e.g. signs, cones and road closed boards for events. 

For more information and to book a place on this course, please contact Chris Bowden at the Notter Bridge Training Centre.

Notter Bridge Training Centre website

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service