Licence to work within highway limits

A licence is required to work within the highway when not carrying out any excavation works.

Licences to work within highway limits can be issued for the following works:

  • Deposit of materials
  • Deposit of site facilities
  • Deposit of equipment
  • Works as part of a 278 agreement
  • Scissor lift
  • Cherry picker
  • Tree works
  • Traffic management (Stop & go boards, Traffic lights and Road closures)

This list is not definitive, if you are going to be working on the Highway you will probably need a licence to do so. If you are unsure and would like some guidance please contact the street works office on 0300 1234 222 to check. 

What you need to do

Before applying, please read our guidance notes for some helpful information.

Apply for a licence 

The works must be covered by Public Liability insurance with a minimum cover of £5 million.  

Apply for a licence to work within Highway Limits

Please submit your completed application form by email to: 

Traffic management

If you are going to need a road closure to complete your works, an additional application form will be required.  Traffic management must be set up and controlled by suitably qualified personnel. It may be necessary to contact a registered traffic management company to do this on your behalf.

Apply for a road closure

How long the application takes to process

A licence to work within highway limits requires 4 weeks lead in time to process. However, if a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order is required; such as a road closure this will increase to 3 months.

How much it costs

A licence to work within highway limits costs £97 for each calendar month period.  

Please note that our licence fees are subject to review every April. Licences submitted after 1st April will be subject to any new fees.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service