This service supports schools in ensuring the effective inclusion, achievement and progression of children and young people with cognition and learning needs.
The service works with learners with:
- Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD - including dyslexia) and
- Moderate (or general) Learning Difficulties
- free core support comprising casework, assessment, advice and consultation
- low cost training for schools
- special events, e.g. the annual Cognition and Learning Conference
Cognition and learning advisers
The cognition and learning advisors are:
- Jo Davidson
- Toby Wilson
They support mainstream schools and other educational settings in Cornwall.
You can download a list of the schools and the allocated adviser.
Schools and educational settings can request the involvement of the service by completing the form below. There is also a Parent Consent Form which must be signed, scanned and emailed to the service before the advisors can visit. The eligibility criteria for each service is listed on the form.
We have published our brochure for 2021/22. It contains all the information you may need to know including:
- the Cognition and Learning Service
- elligibility for our services
- neurodiversity and specific learning difficulties
- how to request our involvement
- training and workshops
The following documents will help you to understand Cognition and Learning, the services we offer and the training available:
- What are cognition and learning needs
- Statement regarding Dyslexia
- When and how to ask for the involvement of the Cognition and Learning service
- Cognition and Learning - training for schools and other educational settings
- Inclusive Dyslexia Friendly Schools Plus - Process
- Inclusive Dyslexia Friendly Schools Plus - Standards
- Inclusive Dyslexia Friendly Schools Plus - Application Form
- Including children and young people with cognitiona and learning needs - The Graduated Approach
- Top tips for schools – Breaking down the barriers for children with cognition and learning needs
- Cornwall Council SEND webpages
- The Cornwall Local Offer - SEND Local Offer
- The Graduated Response in mainstream schools
- The Cornwall Down’s Syndrome Support Group
- The Down’s Syndrome Association
- Dyslexia Cornwall - A locally based charitable organisation
- Understanding Dyslexia - A Guide for Families
- Printable booklets by and for parents and children (primary and secondary) - British Dyslexia Association
- SEND Code of Practice
- Education Endowment Foundation
- National Association of SEN (NASEN)
We are constantly developing the Cognition and Learning Service in light of evaluation and review.
We listen to all stakeholders and welcome all compliments and comments.
In the first instance please email email@example.com with your compliments, comments or complaints.
Alternatively, you may visit the Together for Families compliments, comments and complaints page.
Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.