Council support services

The SEND service, like many services across the UK is currently experiencing higher than normal staff sickness. This is having an impact on our service delivery. We are reviewing systems to mitigate this issue. We recognise the importance of timely communication. However, we respectfully thank parents and carers for their patience and support at this time.

Together for Families support children and young people with special education needs and disabilities (SEND). We also support their families. 

You can find information on the support we provide and how to access below. We also signpost to national and local resources that can support you and your family.

Communication aids for children and young people

The team supports or replaces speech or writing with other forms of communication.  They also provide support to install high-tech voice output Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) devices into schools.

Supporting young people with autism

The team works with children and young people with a diagnosis of Autistic Spectrum Condition aged 4-16.

Educational Psychology

Educational Psychologists are specialists in learning, emotional well-being and child development. The team work with children and young people. They also provide advice to their parents and other adults who teach and support them.

Cognition and Learning

This service works with children with:

  • Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD - including dyslexia) and
  • Moderate (or general) Learning Difficulties

Early Help Hub

The Early Help service identifies the most appropriate help for a child or young person aged from pre-birth up to 18. This is extended to 25 where a young person has special educational needs or a disability.

Family information service

Find information, advice and support available to families in Cornwall

Hearing support

The hearing support team provides specialist support in Cornwall for:

  • infants
  • children and
  • young people

who may have temporary or permanent hearing loss which is impacting their education.

Physical disability or medical needs

The service provides support to a child or young adult with a physical disability or medical needs who attends school.  Support is also provided to the school.

Social, Emotional and Mental Health

Find out what support is available for children and young people with Social, emotional and mental health. Also what support is available for schools.

Speech and Language Therapy

Find out about communication support from our Speech and Language Therapists in the Communication Support Team.

Statutory Special Educational Needs Service

The team make statutory arrangements for children and young people with the most complex SEN. They also handle school admissions for children with an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan.

Vision support

The team work with:

  • children and young people (0-25 years) with a diagnosed visual impairment
  • their families
  • settings, schools (mainstream and specialist) and colleges
  • other professionals 

Find out what support they provide and how to make a referral.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service