Skip to content

Permitted Development Rights

View the 2024 General Election results for the 6 Cornish constituencies

Information on Permitted Development rights

You can do certain types of development without applying for Planning Permission. This is called "permitted development".  It is set out in the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development)(England) Order 2015.

You can find guidance on the rules that relate to permitted development on the Planning Portal website.

Common projects

You can find information on:

  • whether development you wish to carry out is permitted development, or
  • whether you need to submit a planning application

on our Do I need planning permission or building control webpage, or visit the Planning Portal's Interactive House.  This includes common projects like:

  • extensions
  • garage conversions
  • outbuildings
  • solar panels
  • other renewable energy sources.

For more information on whether you will need planning permission, please see our Householder guidance webpage or the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government's permitted development rights for householders - technical guidance.

If you believe your project falls within your property's permitted development rights, you can get the Council's formal opinion.  To get the formal opinion, you need to submit a Lawful Development Certificate for assessment.

Building Control

Whilst you may not need planning permission for some projects, there is still a legal requirement to get building regulations approval for works involving structural changes. This includes extensions, garage conversions and some outbuildings.  A building control application must be submitted prior to work commencing on site.

You can make an application or find out more on our Building Control webpages.

Article 4 Directions

We can remove permitted development rights for a property or an area by issuing an Article 4 Direction.  This means that works that may have been considered permitted development will require planning permission.  You can find out more at: Article 4s

Planning and Ecology

Legal protections for wildlife still apply if your development benefits from permitted development rights.  You may need:

  • an ecological survey and/or
  • a licence.

The Wildlife Assessment Check is a free online tool.  It shows if there are any protected wildlife species in the location of your proposal.  You can access it using this link: Wildlife Assessment Check - Planning Portal

You can find more information from Natural England.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service