Advertisements and signs

You may need to apply for advertisement consent if the advertisement is:

  • bigger than 0.3 square metres or
  • any size if illuminated.

This applies:

  • if on the front or outside of your property and
  • to a house or a business premises.

You can display signs for local events for a short period as long as they are:

  • temporary advertisements or
  • signs up to 0.6 square metres.

There are different rules for estate agents' boards. Generally these should not be bigger than 0.5 square metres. 

The rules for larger, professional adverts and signs for businesses are complex. All outdoor advertisements must comply with five 'standard conditions'.

They must:

  • be kept clean and tidy
  • be kept in a safe condition
  • have the permission of the owner of the site where they are displayed
  • have the permission of the Highway Authority if the sign is to be placed on highway land
  • not get in the way of official
    • road
    • rail
    • waterway or
    • aircraft signs
  • not make using these types of transport more hazardous
  • be removed carefully as required by the planning authority.

You can:

More information can be found on this link: Outdoor advertisements and signs: a guide for advertisers

If you are unsure whether you need planning consent or not, then you could use our ‘Do I need planning permission or building control?’ service.

You have the right to appeal if:

  • the Council refuse consent for your advertisement or
  • require you to remove an existing advertisement.

Find more information on our appeals webpage

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service