Housing information for HM Service Personnel, Veterans and their families

The national Armed Forces Covenant sets the following goals for Housing:
  • Members of the Armed Forces community should have the same access to social housing and housing schemes as other citizens. They must not be disadvantaged by the need for mobility while in Service.
  • Those injured in Service should have preferential access to appropriate housing schemes. Plus help with necessary adaptations to private housing or Service accommodation while serving.
  • If Serving Personnel are entitled to publicly-provided accommodation it must of good quality, affordable and suitably located.
  • Service Personnel should have priority in applying for government sponsored affordable housing schemes. Service leavers should keep this status for a period after discharge.

Finding a home

The Cornwall Housing website provides information and advice about finding a home in Cornwall. There is specific guidance for members of the armed forces.

The Homechoice Scheme explains how we deal with applications to join the Council's housing register. There are specific allowances in respect of armed forces personnel.

The government has published national guidance for members of the armed forces.

The following advice and schemes are available from the Ministry of Defence:


If you are homeless, or think that you are about to become homeless, we can provide you with help and advice. Please contact us as soon as possible so that we can assess your situation in detail. Register and find out more information

Our early Homeless Prevention Service Nos Da Kernow can provide support.

For further information visit Your next step - Cornwall Housing

The armed forces charity SSAFA also provides support to veterans who are homeless:

SSAFA support for veterans

Telephone: 0800 2606767

Disabled facilities grants

Our Homes Solutions service provides help for older people and people with disabilities to manage staying safe at home. The Team includes handy people, occupational therapists and housing support officers. Help can include:

  • Adaptations to the home
  • Providing equipment
  • Financial advice and assistance
  • Moving to more suitable and appropriate accommodation
  • Household maintenance and repairs for people over 60 or people with a disability

Home Solutions service

Advice and support is also available from the Royal British Legion's Independent Living Advice team. Telephone 0808 802 8080.

Other information

E-learning - Housing, Homelessness and the Armed Forces Covenant

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service