Housing for service personnel

Cornwall Housing website

Cornwall Council's Housing Allocations Policy sets out how armed forces personnel are treated in regard to bidding for a council house. The Homechoice Scheme explains how applications to join the Council's housing register are dealt with (there are specific allowances in respect of armed forces personnel, as dictated by legislation). 

The Government has also published national statuatory guidance on access to social housing for members of the armed forces.


Shelter offers advice for current and former members of the armed services and their families.

Citizens advice 

Gives information that applies to: people who will soon be leaving the Armed Forces, people who used to serve in the Armed Forces (veterans), the dependants of people who will soon be leaving the Armed Forces and veterans.

If you have housing questions or problems, there is help available for you if you are in the Armed Forces, a veteran or a family member of someone in the Armed Forces or a veteran.

You can use this information to find out about the help available to you, depending on your situation. You can also use this information to find out about organisations that can help you with your housing needs.

Forces help to buy

Offers help to get on the property ladder.

Barratt Homes 

Offers Britain's military servicemen and women special incentives to help them get their feet on the property ladder.

Taylor Wimpey 

Offer an armed forces discount you could get a discount of up to £500 for every £25,000 you spend on a new home! It is exclusively available to armed forces personnel at many Taylor Wimpey developments.

Military Mortgages from Forces Mutual 

Provides advice and help in finding the most suitable mortgage for you.


Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service