Further guidance on tendering for pop up sites

About the pitch

The online information sheet for each site details the location for the Pop Up.   In some locations there is no specific area and this is detailed in the documents for the site.  

The pitches are pre-chosen by the Council and are on areas that Officers believe are viable for trading.  Please inform us if there are other locations that you may be interested in and if they are in Cornwall Council ownership they may be considered under a future phase.  

Equipment and Trailers

All equipment and trailers must be removed each night.

Type of business

For the most part we are looking for innovative and interesting ideas which will enhance the area.  Some pitches which will be restricted, for example, ice-cream sales only.  Any such restriction is intended to ensure the Pop Up Site fits strategically with existing businesses in the area.

No alcohol can be sold from the site.

Single use plastic straws, plates, glasses and cutlery

The Council encourages that all tenders consider their environmental impact. A number of towns are plastic free and others are following suit therefore you will need to check with the town if they are plastic free.  The Council encourages you to use alternatives to single use plastic.

The Tender Process

Cornwall Councillors were made aware of the tender proposal at an All Member Briefing on 16 March 2016. This was followed up by individual letters being sent to Local Members and Town and Parish Councils before the tender went live.

This is a commercial tendering process so existing businesses will not be given preferential treatment over other businesses. The applications will be scored on cost and quality criteria, which a long established business will be in a good position to score well on.

How we assess tenders

The tenders will be assessed on the following:

  • Annual rent (40%)
  • Quality (60%)

Marks awarded

The quality bid is split into the following sections with different marks awarded for each section:

  • Experience - 5 marks
  • Business Set Up - 15 marks
  • Sustainability - 20 marks
  • Promotion and Protection of the Environment - 20 marks

Assessment criteria

Please read the assessment criteria for more details about what is in each section.

Opening the tenders

All returned tenders will be opened by selected officers at the same time.  Each tender will be assessed and scored using the assessment criteria. Once a decision has been agreed upon the winning tender will be informed.  

Extending the length of tender

The tender states whether it is for one or three years. If sites that are let on one-year licences are deemed successful, then a longer-term concession will be retendered for the selected sites.

Preparing your tender

As it is a closed tender it is up to the individual tenderers to submit a bid to the Council for what they wish to pay for the use at the site. Tenders are assessed on 40% annual rent and 60% quality.

Please follow the instructions in the Tender Pack when posting your tender.

All tenders must be sent by post. We cannot accept tenders by email.

Send your completed tender to:

Tracy Rilett
Property Services
New County Hall
Treyew Rd

Please mark on the envelope Pop Up Site.

The deadline for tender applications is midday Monday 31 January 2022

Tendering for multiple sites

To allow the tenders to be scored per site we do require you to submit a separate tender for each site you are interested in. Please specify in your application your preference of sites if you are only requiring one site.

Term of the licence

The pop up concessions are for one year or three years starting from 5 April 2022.  The documentation details the length of the licence.  

Only the person responsible for paying the rent and complying with the terms of the Licence needs to actually sign the Licence, and therefore only that person needs to be listed as a licensee on the tender form. A credit check will be done only on this person.  Of course, all employees will need to be trained by the person who signs the Licence, to ensure that all requirements of the Licence agreement are met.

The Council will not permit a commercial trader to operate from a Cornwall Council land without a licence.

Register as a food hygiene business

The law requires either the registration or approval of all food businesses.

To store, prepare, distribute or sell food, you need to be registered as a food business with your local authority 28 days prior to opening. 

Other licences or permissions you may need

You may require licences from other departments, for example, street trading, Planning, or Public Health and Protection. It is up to you to determine whether other licences or permissions are required.


Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service