Children and young people with disabilities


We assess children and young people's individual needs so we can provide the right help.

We offer an assessment to children and young people with disabilities who are described as 'Children in Need' under The Children Act 1989.

This could be a learning disability or a physical disability. It could also be sensory loss, complex health needs or life limiting conditions.

If you would like an assessment of need please contact 0300 1234 101.

Before the assessment takes place, we will;

  • Talk to you about who else we need to speak to
  • Ask your permission before we contact them
  • A member of our team will meet with you and your family to discuss your needs
  • We keep all your information confidential, unless there are concerns about your safety or the safety of others
  • During the assessment we will discuss your child's developmental needs.
  • We will ask about their health and education
  • We will also ask what they are good at and what they enjoy
  • We will also ask about their care needs and about their wider family
  • It may also be necessary to see your child in their school or short break setting. This will provide us with an understanding of their needs on a day to day basis
  • We will ask you about your views before the assessment is complete and write your views down
  • You will receive a copy of the assessment

We offer assessments to all children unless support should be provided by a different service, or could be provided at a different level. We use Our Safeguarding Children's Partnership Threshold Tool to see what level of support you might need.

If you are not in agreement with the assessment, please tell us why.

Early Support is a service which helps disabled children and young people. It is part of the Disabled Children and Therapy Service.

How to access Early Support

Young people, parents, carers or professionals can request Early Support Team Around the Child (TAC) meetings. They can also request support through Supporting Change in Partnership (SCIP).

You can ask about Early Support by contacting the Early Help Hub

What is Early Support?

  • We bring together families and professionals to plan support for young people.
  • We work to improve the way that services work with disabled children and young people.
  • We ensure that children, young people and their families are at the centre of the services.

Who Early Support work with

We work with children and young people aged 0 to 18 years who have an additional need or disability. 

How Early Support works in Cornwall - The Team Around the Child (TAC) Meeting

  • A Team Around the Child (TAC) Meeting brings together professionals and families
  • At the meeting a lead professional will write an Early Support Plan
  • The plan will look at the priorities of the child and their parents or carers
  • The TAC meeting is chaired by a Lead Professional who is chosen by the child and their family
  • The Lead Professional acts as a ‘Key Worker’ for the family

Supporting Change in Partnership (SCIP)

  • Supporting Change In Partnership (SCIP) is a sixteen week intervention
  • It is for families who need practical support with their disabled child
  • SCIP aims to prevent the need for a Social Work Assessment
  • SCIP works on the things that families say are difficult for them
  • SCIP aims to respond quickly to children, young people and their family’s needs
  • SCIP workers and trained Parent Volunteers deliver the service

Disabled Children's Family Worker

  • Disabled Children's Family Workers work with families where a child plan is in place
  • They act as their key worker
  • They review the child's plan and package of care on a regular basis
  • They provide the family with practical and emotional support

Early Support training

Training is offered to practitioners to familiarise them with the Early Support principles and approach. Please contact Crin Whelan for more information.

Crin Whelan, Early Support Lead:  01872 323329

Occupational therapy

Due to Coronavirus we have had to make some changes to the way that your Occupational Therapist works with you and your child. Your Occupational Therapist will ring you before a visit to ask if you would like to go ahead with it. Please let them know if your child or someone in the family is showing symptoms. If anyone in your or the Occupational Therapist's family has Coronavirus symptoms the visit will be postponed.

If you do not want visits at the moment your Occupational Therapist will note this and we will keep in touch with you on a regular basis. We will continue to work for you and your child via digital options. This might be via phone calls or online. You may be contacted by a different Occupational Therapist than usual.

We are operating a priority system for working with you and your children. For example, a high priority would be where provision of moving and handling equipment, in a high risk situation, is necessary. 

We work with disabled children and young people aged 0-18 who:

  • are resident in Cornwall; and
  • has a permanent and substantial learning or physical disability

Resulting in a need to improve their:

  • access
  • independence
  • activities of daily living

We usually assess children and young people who have:

  • A physical disability
  • A learning disability
  • A chronic life-limiting or life-threatening condition
  • Sensory impairment or loss
  • Autism Spectrum Condition
  • Other complex needs

We will assess individual need and jointly agree the services that need to be put in place to ensure your child has the right support.

Occupational therapy leafletWhat services do we offer?

We arrange:

  • loan of equipment
  • moving and handling advice for children and carers
  • arrangement of minor and major adaptations

Major adaptations are funded via the Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG).  Some adaptations are referred to the Home Solutions Team.

Disabled Facilities Grants eligibility

Moving and handling guidance

Which areas do we cover?

Our Occupational Therapists work across the county in three teams: West, Mid and East.

How can someone start using the service?

You can make a referral to the Occupational Therapy Service for an assessment. You can call or make a written referral to the Multi Agency Referral Unit (MARU) on 0300 123 1116 or at

We prioritise referrals according to urgency of need and risk of potential harm. We offer other ideas and signpost you to more suitable help where appropriate.

Health Care and Professions Council

Occupational Therapists have a professional qualification and are registered with the Health and Care Professions Council.

Wheelchair Service - Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust

The Wheelchair Service supports children with specialist wheelchair needs.

The Children Act 1989 says that all Local Authorities must have a record of disabled children and young people in their area.

It is your choice if you want to be a part of this record.

The benefits

  • We can send you news and updates about Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) services
  • It lets us see where people with SEND live and helps us plan services

Things to know

  • Your record is not linked to any other register
  • It will not affect entitlement to services or benefits
  • Being on the DCR does not automatically entitle your child to services

How to register

To access the DCR you will need to create an account on the Support in Cornwall website. Once registered, visit the "Dashboard" to create a record for your child.

Young people in Cornwall can begin the process of transition from Children's Services to Adult Services in Year 9 (age 14) and onwards.

Preparing for adulthood can be an anxious time for young people and their parents or carers. They may be unsure about what to expect and what help may be available in order to plan for the future. There may be uncertainty about the roles of different agencies and the support that can be given.

If you or your parent or carer would like information about preparing for adulthood, please contact us. We will help to guide you through the process.

Multi Agency Transition Protocol for Young People Moving from Children's to Adult Services

Changing places

Changing Places are multi-purpose changing rooms for people with profound and multiple learning difficulties and their carers.  Changing Places toilets have additional features and more space to meet the needs of people with disabilities.

Changing Places provide adequate space and a safe and clean environment for its users.  They have an electric tracking or mobile hoist, an adjustable changing bench and a centrally-positioned toilet, 

They also include:

  • an adult sized changing bench and a tracking hoist system or mobile hoist if this is not possible
  • adequate space in the changing area for the disabled person and up to two carers
  • a centrally placed toilet with room either side for the carers
  • a screen or curtain to allow the disabled person and carer some privacy

Changing places website

BUGZI Loan Scheme

The award-winning MERU Bugzi is a powered indoor wheelchair for children aged one to six.  It offers a unique opportunity for pre-school children with disabilities to experience independent mobility. Often for the first time in their lives. Bugzi is available to loan free of charge from Cornwall Mobility.

Cornwall Mobility website 

Equipment Hire

Disabled Children Social Care has a range of equipment for hire.

There is a small charge per item to cover repairs due to wear and tear, and terms and conditions apply.

You can request equipment on the equipment hire form and send as an attachment to

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service