Children and young people in care and care leavers

Please read our information on how we are supporting residents and businesses, as well as information on affected services.

Services for children in care provide information, advice and support to children, young people and their parents / carers.

Good Home Strategy

In Cornwall we have focused on preventing reactive and inappropriate entry to care. This is to try and make sure that the right children come into care at the right time, for the right reasons. We have fewer children in care in Cornwall because we do everything we can to keep children safely at home or with their wider family. This is what most children say they want.

View our Children's Good Homes Strategy

Mind of My Own | Support for Children in Care and Children in Need

Cornwall Council are using Mind Of My Own for hearing your voice and gathering your comments.

Mind of My Own is a fuss-free way to put down your thoughts and send them to those who need to hear from you.

Download the app or use it online You can speak to your worker about how to use Mind of My Own.

If you are worried or have concerns and are not a Child in Care or Child in Need, you can contact the Multi Agency Referral Unit on 0300 1231 116.

Alternatively you can contact ChildLine at 0800 1111.

How to make a complaint if you are a child or young person in care

What can I complain about?

Anything that is bothering you - for example, the way you are treated by your social workers or foster carers, or any decisions we make without finding out your views. We will do our best to put you in touch with someone who can help.

Who can I complain to?

It is best to speak with your workers first of all. You can also ask to speak to the Team Manager in your local Social Care office who is your Social Worker’s manager. If that doesn't work you can contact the complaints team.

How do I do that?

  • Telephone the Beeline on 0800 028 8228, which is a freephone telephone service. It is answered personally through the working day, and if you ring outside office hours you can leave a message.
  • Fill in a complaint form and send it to the address on the form.
  • Write to the Complaints Manager
  • Ask someone else to complain for you

How will the complaints team deal with my complaint?

You can talk over how you would like your complaint to be dealt with by the complaints team.

Can I have someone to support me if I use the formal procedure?

Yes. All young people making a complaint are offered an advocate, who is an independent person to help them, or you can choose someone you know to support you.

I'm a bit worried about making a complaint - will it be held against me?

No. It is your right to complain, and all the information you give us will be treated sensitively.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service