Out of hours support for children and young people

Please read our information on how we are supporting residents and businesses, as well as information on affected services.

The Out of Hours Social Work Support Service is for children, young people and families who are in immediate need

Who is it for?

The Out of Hours Service is for:

  • children, young people or families experiencing immediate difficulties
  • people who have an immediate concern for the safety of a child / young person

What telephone number should I ring?

If you wish to contact the Cornwall Council’s Children’s Social Work Out of Hours Service, please telephone 01208 251300

Anyone telephoning the Out of Hours Service will be asked for their:

  • telephone number
  • location
  • which specialist Out of Hours Service they think they need

The operator will then contact the appropriate specialist service for the area.

Emergency needs relating to children’s social work will be assessed in partnership with other agencies where appropriate. Information will be shared for the safety of children and young people.

The Out of Hours Service does not deal with routine requests

Non urgent requests should always be referred to the appropriate local Children’s Social Work office. This should be during normal hours. Telephone: 0300 1234 101.

The team often work on a multi agency basis alongside colleagues in police and health. This is to maintain and assess the needs of children and young people.   

If there is an immediate issue of safety then the Police should be called.

Read the Help outside normal hours leaflet

When is it available?

The Out of Hours Service is available:

  • Weekdays from 5.15pm each evening (4.45pm Fridays) until 8.45am the following morning
  • Weekends from 4.45pm on Friday until 8.45am the following Monday
  • All public holidays

Who will help me?

Children's Social Care (Social Work Service)

Children's Social Care emergencies are dealt with by a Children’s Social Worker and their Manager.

Adult Social Care

Please refer to the Adult Social Care pages for help for adults outside normal working hours.

What records are kept?

Cornwall’s Social Work is committed to good quality case recording. Information is stored on an electronic case recording system for social care records. They are stored in accordance with the Data Protection Act.  

Comments, Compliments or Complaints about the Out of Hours Service

Together for Families welcome comments, compliments and complaints.  Please contact the Quality Assurance and Business Manager.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service

Give feedback about your experience