Garden waste collections
What you need to know before signing up
- You can use this fortnightly domestic garden waste collection service for things like grass clippings, weeds, leaves and prunings.
- This service is for domestic households only. Businesses, including self-catering and holiday let properties, are not eligible to apply.
- If you're subscribing for the first time, you need to buy one of our brown bins or reusable bags when you sign up.
- If you've already got one of our brown bins or bags and are renewing your annual subscription you only need to pay for the collection service.
- You'll need a separate subscription for each bin or bag you own, so if you have two bins you need two collection subscriptions.
- It may take up to 10 working days for a bin/bag to be delivered.
- Please read our Terms and Conditions before signing up. They contain important information about container warranties and when we can accept a request for cancellation and refund.
How much does it cost?
The annual subscription cost below is from 1 April 2020 to 31 March 2021. If you take out a subscription after April but before January the amount you pay will be adjusted to reflect the number of months left of the current subscription year.
240 litre bin
140 litre bin
70 litre reusable bag
One off container prices
If you are a new subscriber to the service, you need to buy one of our brown bins or a reusable bag with your subscription. This is a one off cost in your first year and then you can continue to use the bin/bag in subsequent years. Due to the current demand on services in relation to the COVID-19 situation container deliveries may take up to 10 working days at this time. Prices for the three different sizes are:
240 litre bin
1070 mm (incl lid) x 580 mm x 740 mm
(equivalent to 4 black bin bags)
140 litre bin
1050 mm (incl lid) x 480 mm x 550 mm
(equivalent to 2 black bin bags)
70 litre bin
480 mm x 380 mm x 380 mm with Velcro flap
(equivalent to 1 black bin bag)
What can I put in my garden waste?
- Grass cuttings
- Organic sweepings
- Tree, shrub and rose prunings
- Branches (up to 30cm long and 2.5cm diameter, for example, broom handle width)
- Cut flowers
- Cardboard, glass, metal and plastic
- Food waste, including vegetable peelings
- Turf, soil and rubble
- Plant pots
- Animal bedding and faeces
- Invasive species, eg, Japanese knotweed, ragwort, giant hogweed, common ragwort, bamboo
- Compostable bags
- Coffee pods
When will my garden waste be collected?
On the next collection round after your bin/bag has been delivered. You can check when your garden waste collection is on our website. Please note that this will only display your collections scheduled within the next fortnight.
Signing up part-way through a subscription year
A subscription year runs from 1 April to 31 March.
If you take out a subscription after April but before January the amount you pay will be adjusted to reflect the number of months left of the current subscription year. For example if you sign up in June you will be charged from June to March, ie, 10 months' service.
We do not accept new subscriptions for the current year between January and March. If you sign up during these months, your subscription will not start until the new subscription year on 1 April and will be at the cost for that year.
What else can I do with my garden waste?
- You can buy a Cornwall Council subsidised composter or Green Johanna. Prices already include the subsidy.
- You can take it to one of our Household Waste and Recycling Centres where you can dispose of it for free
Where can I get a water butt?
Water butts and other water saving devices and advice are available through South West Water.
How do I report a missed garden waste collection?
You can report missed collections to us using our online reporting form.