Please see the below for information on Animal Health and Welfare for farm animals.
For information on non farm animal welfare please visit the Environmental Health animal welfare webpage.
The Identification requirements for pigs is as follows:
- All pigs moving off a holding must be identified by an approved ear tag or a tattoo marked with “UK” and the herd mark of the premise from which the pig is moving.
- If the pig is less than 12 months old and is not moving to a market, slaughterhouse, show, or for export; a temporary mark may be used which either on its own or by reference to the accompanying document identifies the holding from which the pig has moved.
- If a pig is moving to a show/exhibition/for breeding/semen collection, it must also have an individual identification.
Record keeping requirements are as follows:
- Keepers must make a record of all movements within 36 hours of the movement of pigs onto and off their holding. This should include the date, the ID number or temporary mark, the number of pigs, and the address to and from which the pigs have moved;
- Keepers must keep an annual inventory; and
- These records must be kept for 3 years.
Other livestock guidance
- Advice on pet animals entering and re-entering Cornwall - An Introduction to the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS)
Advice leaflets on animals,
- including movement,
- and sale are available below.
This information is provided by Business Companion.
- The welfare of animals during transport: Welfare of your animals during transit.
- Home slaughter for private consumption: Rules related to home slaughter for Private Consumption.
- Livestock transport vehicles: Requirements for using vehicles to transport livestock.
- Cleansing and disinfecting of vehicles: advice on:
- and disinfecting
- Veterinary medicine advice : Guide in keeping and recording of Veterinary Medicines on farm.
- Buying and selling of livestock: guidance on the
- and sales
- farm to farm
- and through a livestock market.
- Keeping poultry: Record keeping and regulations when keeping poultry or racing pigeons.
- Keeping pet pigs: Responsibilities and requirements for keeping pet pigs.
Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.