Skip to content

Holding events on Council land

Cornwall Council owns a number of parks and open spaces, beaches, car parks and harbour areas across Cornwall where you can request to hold events.

Requesting Permission

To request permission for use of Council owned land for an event, please complete an Event Notification Form in the first instance using the link below.

Tell us about your event

You must provide at least 3 months’ notice of an event to allow time for licences/permissions to be issued.

You will need to provide a suitable and sufficient risk assessment and/or event safety plan (dependent on the size of the event) and provide evidence of at least £5 million public liability insurance, although a higher one may be requested if necessary. Please provide a site plan showing where any temporary structures will be placed. A traffic management plan may also be required dependent on the type of event.

Organisers using an external supplier should always ensure that any individual or private company has relevant qualifications and licenses which are in date at the time of the event. Cornwall Council may ask to see evidence of such qualifications or licenses if they feel this is necessary

Things to consider

Before submitting the Event Notification Form, please consider the following:

  • Is the location and time of year suitable for the event?
  • Is there suitable access/egress to the site?
  • How many participants will be involved at any one time?
  • What welfare facilities will be provided for event participants and visitors i.e. toilets? You should be aware that although there may be public toilets on site, they may not be open during your event, dependent on the location and time of year. Please check beforehand so you have time to make alternative arrangements if needed. A charge may be applicable should the toilets require additional cleansing during your event.
  • Who will be providing qualified first aid and/or safety / security cover?
  • What provision is there for adverse weather conditions on the day which could affect the event?
  • Consideration for any traffic management issues associated with large volumes of traffic attending the event.
  • Consideration for use of any adjacent Council property.

Releasing Balloons and Lanterns

The launch of lanterns or balloons shall not take place on Cornwall Council owned/managed land (including leased land). This includes all airborne launched lanterns, latex balloons and similar free-floating devices that are not under control once launched, any such device containing a naked flame, fuel cell, helium gas or similar elevation mechanism and includes any item described as biodegradable.

Find out who to contact for different locations

The majority of beaches in Cornwall are privately owned, but regardless of who the landowner is event organisers are advised to seek permission before holding any event/activity on any Cornish beach, and are requested to complete the Event Notification Form.

CORMAC Solutions Ltd work in conjunction with Cornwall Council to offer advice and guidance, ensure that all events are appropriate for the location and take place as safely as possible for the enjoyment of everyone using the beach. 

Please also consider the following:

  • How many competitors will be in the water at any one time?
  • What experience would you expect the competitors to have i.e. being able to swim a certain distance?
  • Will the competitors be wearing any type of buoyancy aid i.e. wetsuit or lifejacket?
  • Who will be providing qualified first aid and/or water safety cover for the event? 
  • How many first aiders/lifeguards will be on duty specifically for the event?
  • If there are any associated activities on the beach involving alcohol how will you prevent intoxicated people from taking part in the event/entering the water?

Event organisers of water based events are strongly advised to refer to the Event Water Safety Manual which has been produced by Surf Life Saving GB and which has been endorsed by RoSPA, Managing Event Water Safety: Principles and Practice.

Please note: The RNLI have provided cover and additional cover for events in the past, however they will not be providing for any for future events. Event Organisers must therefore ensure that they have appropriate cover for their event which is detailed in their documents. 

To discuss holding an event on a beach in Cornwall, please contact the Senior Beach Ranger.
Tel: 0300 1234 222 

To discuss holding an event on a Council owned park or public open spaces, please contact the Public Open Spaces Officer – Events.

Tel: 01872 327693

To discuss holding an event on a Council owned car parks, please contact the Parking Operations Manager for the relevant area.

East (covering the former Districts of North Cornwall, Caradon and Restormel)
01872 326478

West (covering the former Districts of Carrick, Kerrier and Penwith)
01872 224698

Please note that the primary function of a car park is to provide visitor parking. Car parks will only be considered as an event location if there is no alternative site available.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service