Cornwall Council is only responsible for a small number of public toilets across the county all of which are now open or have alternative arrangements in place. See a list of Cornwall Council managed toilets below
All other toilet facilities are owned and operated by Town and Parish Councils, community groups and private businesses. Contact your local Town and Parish council to find more information about other locations. Cornwall Council continues to work closely with the Cornwall Association of Local Councils and Public Health to support and advise on the safe reopening of toilets that have been closed due to Covid 19.
Changes to Public Toilets
A cut in funding by central Government has forced Cornwall Council to review the non statutory services it provides, such as public toilets. As a result, the public convenience budget was cut in April 2016.
Rather than close the majority of Cornwall’s facilities, Cornwall Council has been working with the Local Town and Parish Councils and other organisations to transfer responsibility for running the toilets to them. This has been very successful and has saved a great many public conveniences from closure.
As part of the transfer arrangements, the Council has to date invested around £4.2m in making improvements to facilities. This has brought about significant improvements including improved access for people with disabilities and energy and water saving measures which will help cut future running costs.
During the consultation process a number of members of the public said they would be prepared to pay to use public toilets to ensure that they remained open. As a result, trial charging has been introduced at Marazion, Boscastle and Padstow. The income from these toilets is being kept within the service to pay for running costs. This has now been rolled out to a number of other toilets which are now being operated by Town and Parish Councils.
Changing Places in Cornwall
Changing Places toilets contain a range of additional features and more space to meet the needs of people with disabilities. Find out what these additional features are and where the changing places toilets are located in Cornwall on the Physical disabilites page.
- Porthcurno Car Park Toilets, Penzance TR19 6JX
- Trebarwith Strand Life Saving Club and Toilets - Tintagel, PL34 0HB
- Coronation Gardens Toilets, Dunders Hill, Polzeath PL27 6TA
- Mt Edgcumbe Country Park, Torpoint PL10 1HZ
- Fowey Main Car park Toilets, Hanson Drive, Fowey, PL23 1ET
- Padstow Link Road Car park, Padstow, PL28 8DT
- Porthpean Beach toilets, St. Austell PL26 6AX
- Poldhu Cove Toilets, Poldhu Road, Mullion, Helston, TR12 7JB
- Praa Sands Toilets, TR20 9TQ
- Lafrowda Close Car Park Toilets, Lafrowda Close, St.Just, Penzance TR19 7HZ
- St Johns Terrace Car Park Toilets, Pendeen, Penzance, TR19 7DN
- Talland Toilets, Talland Bay, Looe PL13 2JA
- Tehidy Woods Toilets, Tehidy Country Park, Camborne, TR14 0HA
- Gwithian Towans Toilet, Gwithian Towans Common, Hayle TR27 5BT
- Malpas Public Toilets, Malpas, Truro, TR1 1SQ
All other toilet facilities are owned and operated by Town and Parish Councils, community groups and private businesses. Please contact the relevant Town or Parish council for more information