Skip to content

Section 50 licence - repairs to existing apparatus in the highway

If you wish to place or carry out repairs to existing apparatus in the highway,  then you need to obtain a licence.

This is a requirement under Section 50 of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991. 

What you need to do

As the applicant it is recommended that you read our Guidance Notes before applying.

Your contractor: who should you choose?

Accredited Contractor

You must nominate a company that holds

  • both the Streetworks Supervisor and Operative qualification
  • Public Liability Insurance with a minimum cover of £5 million.

We recommend that you get a minimum of three quotes.

Guarantee of works

The guarantee period will last for 2 years for excavations up to 1.5m deep and 3 years for deeper ones.

Apply for a Section 50 licence

Please ensure that the application form is completed in full and that your contractor has filled in their part before submission. 

Apply for a Section 50 licence

A Section 50 licence requires 4 weeks lead in time to process. However, if a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order is required; such as a road closure this will increase to 3 months.

Please submit a copy of your completed application form to:

Cost of a section 50 licence 

  • Installation of new apparatus - £528
  • Repairs to existing apparatus - £300
  • Works over 200m in length - an additional £150 fee applies for each 200m section.

Please note that our licence fees are subject to review every April. Licences submitted after 1st April will be subject to any new fees.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service