Skip to content

Apply to install a new dropped kerb or alter an existing access

If you wish to cross a footway or verge to park a vehicle on your property then you are required to create a vehicle crossing (dropped kerb) to do so. 

What you need to do

Vehicle crossings have many different aspects therefore it is recommended that you read our Guidance Notes before applying.

Your contractor: who should you choose?

Accredited Contractor

You must nominate a company that holds

  • both the Streetworks Supervisor and Operative qualification
  • Public Liability Insurance with a minimum cover of £5 million.

We recommend that you get a minimum of three quotes.

Vehicle Crossings as part of a development

If the vehicle crossing forms part of a development it may need technical approval from our Estate Roads department.

Planning Permission

It is your responsibility to ensure that the correct permissions are obtained before  making an application. To do this you will need to complete the planning permission checklist.

How to apply

Download a dropped kerb application form

Please make sure that the application form is completed in full and that your contractor has filled in their part before submission.

A plan showing the location of the vehicle crossing must also be received with the application pack so that we can accurately inspect the area. 

Please submit your completed application form by email to:

A vehicle crossing application takes a minimum of six weeks to process.

The cost of a vehicle crossing licence

  • Standard vehicle crossing - £367
  • Vehicle crossings as part of a development - £558

Please note that our licence fees are subject to review every April and licences submitted after 1st April will be subject to any new fees.

What happens next?

Once we have received your application we will carry out an onsite inspection to confirm the suitability of the location.  

Once approved a licence will be issued including any additional conditions. 

A signed copy of the licence will be returned to the applicant and a copy forwarded to the nominated accredited contractor.

If your request for a vehicle crossing is denied we will contact you to explain the reason why and discuss the matter further.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service