Home to School Travel Assistance

New Starters in September 2024

If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan, and a school place has been allocated for them by the Statutory SEN Service, you can apply now.

If your child does not have an Education, Health and Care Plan, it is too early to apply for travel assistance for September 2024.  We cannot consider applications until School Admissions confirm their offer of a school place.  For pre-application advice on your child's potential eligibility, please use the 'Contact Us' form below.

Please note:  There are changes planned which may mean that travel assistance currently in place for some school children will not be available to other children starting school in September 2024.  Please take these changes into account when applying for a school place.  Further details, and a survey to enable you to have your say on the proposed changes, can be found using the link below.
Phasing out Home to School travel assistance on routes deemed suitable for walking

We encourage you to read the following guidance issued by the Department for Education.
Free school transport explained: From who's eligible to how it works

Who is eligible?

You can apply for a school place for your child at any school, but your child may not necessarily be eligible for free travel assistance.

The eligibility criteria for travel assistance is set out within Cornwall's Home to School Travel Assistance Policy - link below.  We strongly recommend that you read this document before applying for a school place and travel assistance.

Home to School Travel Assistance Policy 2023/24

If you are unsure if your child is eligible for travel assistance, please contact us - see contact details below.

If your child is not eligible for travel assistance, other travel schemes may be available.  For further information, please visit other transport schemes

How to apply?

You can apply for travel assistance using the link below.

Apply for Home to School Travel Assistance

Who will consider the application?

All applications are considered by the Transport Coordination Service.

How quickly are applications considered?

Applications will be considered within 10 working days. We kindly ask that you do not contact the Transport Coordination Service for an update on your application unless this timescale has been exceeded. Unfortunately, no travel assistance can be provided for your child whilst your application is being considered.

Please note, if your child is eligible, it may take a further 10 working days for travel passes/arrangements to be confirmed.

What travel arrangements will be provided?

If eligible, travel assistance will be provided via the most cost-effective suitable method – see below.

  • All children of primary school age will travel via taxi/minibus.
  • Children of secondary school age, who attend a secondary school, ARB or APA, will travel on a school bus or via public transport.
  • Children of secondary school age, who attend a special school in Cornwall, will travel via taxi/minibus.

Where the standard method of travel above is evidenced to be unsuitable, alternative travel arrangements will be provided.

Who can apply?

All parents/carers can apply for travel assistance themselves via the link above.

Alternatively, your child's school or any other professional working with you and/or your child can apply on your behalf. However, they must have your consent to do so.

Already receiving travel assistance but your circumstances have changed?

If your child is already receiving travel assistance, but moves address or changes school, it is important that you notify the Transport Coordination Service.  

Should travel assistance be required from your new address, or to your child’s new school, please reapply using the link above.

Young People With Education, Health and Care Plans

The Transport Coordination Service and Statutory SEN Service have jointly produced the guidance documents below.  We hope that this will help support young people with Education, Health and Care Plans, and their families.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service