Skip to content

Do I need a vehicle permit?

Find out if your vehicle is allowed to use the Household Waste Recycling Centres

The table below shows which vehicles are allowed at the Household Waste and Recycling Centre (HWRC) and whether they need a permit.

Vehicle Allowed on site Permit required

Car - including estate cars

Yes No

4X4 for example, Jeep Cheroke, Land Rover Discovery, Mitsubishi Shogun, Nissan X-Trail

Yes No

Fully-fitted camper vans, van-based people carriers/family type vans (with factory/professionally fitted seats and windows in the rear for carrying passengers)

Yes No
A car/4x4/exempted vehicle with a trailer/horsebox under 1.83m (6 feet) internal length Yes No
A car/4x4/exempted vehicle with a trailer/horsebox between 1.83m (6 feet) and 3m (9.8 feet) internal length Yes Yes

Pick-up truck or light goods vehicle (or equivalent) with either open back or enclosed canopy/top. For example, Ford Ranger, Isuzu Rodeo, Nissan Navara, Mitsubishi L200, Toyota Hilux (See note about exempted vehicles)

Yes Yes

Van under 3.5 tonnes for example, Fiat Ducato, Mercedes Vito, Renault Traffic (See note about exempted vehicles)

Yes Yes

Any vehicle over 3.5 tonnes

No N/A

Any van/pickup with any trailer (See note about exempted vehicles)

No N/A

Vehicles which are exempt

A van or pick-up under 3.5 tonnes, registered as a mobility vehicle, with a blue badge clearly displayed will be allowed on site without a permit. The vehicle will also be allowed on site towing a trailer under 1.83m (6 feet) internal length. If the mobility vehicle is towing a trailer between 1.83m (6 feet) and 3m (9.8 feet) it will require a permit for the trailer.

Bringing a trailer to a HWRC

Vehicles that need a permit aren’t allowed to bring trailers on site, subject to any vehicle exemption.

Trailers are measured on their original internal length. Even if their internal dimensions have been adapted.

Permit for a hired vehicle

If you’ve hired a van for seven days or less, you don’t need a permit to use it to bring household waste to an HWRC. You will need to show your hire agreement to site staff.  You may be asked to complete a Trade Waste Disclaimer to confirm that you are only disposing of household waste.

If you’ve hired a van for more than seven days, you will need a permit - please call us on 0300 1234 141 for details.

Trade waste disclaimer

Cornwall Council prohibits the disposal of commercial and industrial waste at HWRCs.  If site staff are not sure whether your waste is household waste or commercial/trade waste, you may be asked to complete a form.  This is to declare that it is only household waste.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service