Skip to content

Planning Privacy Notice A for Discretionary Services

Who will control my data?

The Data Controller for all the information you provide on this form is Cornwall Council, New County Hall, Treyew Road, Truro TR1 3AY.  Data Protection Registration Number: Z1745294

There’s something I don’t understand

If you need help understanding anything contained in this notice, please contact the Economic Growth and Development Freedom of Information Team by emailing or on telephone number 0300 1234 100.

How we will use the information about you

The information you provide on this form will be used to provide you with a response on the service you have requested. The information may be made available on the public register (unless a decision has been made to restrict publication due to e.g. commercial confidentiality).  For discretionary services e.g. pre-application advice, this will include your name and address as well as the details of the agent if applicable. Your personal email address, signatures, contact numbers and any financial information will be redacted from public viewing but we will hold this information on our planning system and it will be available to all planning officers.  Any medical information submitted which is not from an official medical professional will be rejected and deleted. It is unlawful for us to process medical information without a legitimate reason to do so.

Your information will also be used when contacting you with a response. 

Who else will we share your information with?

We will only use this information in conjunction with your submission. Your information (excluding personal contact numbers, email address and signatures) may be shared with both external consultees e.g. Parish Councils; Environment Agency and national amenity societies and internal consultees e.g. Highways; Forestry Officers; Land Agent; Affordable Housing. 

How will we look after your data?

Information Security

Your data will be held within Cornwall Council’s secure network and premises and will not be processed outside of the UK/the EEA.  Access to your information will only be made to authorised members of staff who are required to process it for the purposes outlined in this privacy notice.   Please note that anyone who has access to the internet can view non confidential planning submissions online, even if they have not registered.

Accuracy of your information

We will process the information given at the time of your submission. If your information is not accurate then you can call us on 0300 1234151. If you have applied via an external planning provider you will need to contact them directly in order to amend your data.

How long will we keep this information for?

All discretionary planning service requests are held on a public register until required to be removed in accordance with our current document retention policy or if requested to do so by you in accordance with your data rights.

What are my data rights?

Your personal information belongs to you and you have the right to:

  • be informed of how we will process it
  • request a copy of what we hold about you and in commonly used electronic format if you wish (if you provided this to us electronically for automated processing, we will return it in the same way)
  • have it amended if it’s incorrect or incomplete
  • have it deleted (where we do not have a legal requirement to retain it)
  • withdraw your consent if you no longer wish us to process
  • restrict how we process it
  • object to us using it for marketing or research purposes
  • object to us using it in relation to a legal task or in the exercise of an official authority
  • request that a person reviews an automated decision where it has had an adverse effect on you

How do I exercise these rights?

If you would like to access any of the information we hold about you or have concerns regarding the way we have processed your information, please contact:

Data Protection Officer
Cornwall Council
County Hall
Tel: 01872 326424

I don’t agree with something

We would prefer any complaints to be made to us initially so that we have the opportunity to see if we can put things right.  However, if you are unhappy with the way we have processed your information or how we have responded to your request to exercise any of your rights in relation to your data, you can raise your concerns direct with the Information Commissioner’s Office

Tel No. 0303 123 1113 

Why do you need my information?

You have asked us to provide you with a discretionary planning service so we need your name, address and payment details.  Without them we will not be able to provide you with the service that you have requested. 

When you submit a discretionary service you will have to sign a copy of this privacy notice, which will be attached to the application form. 

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service