Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) Requests for Exemptions

The MEES standards came into force on 1 April 2018. They apply to private rented:

  • domestic (residential) and
  • non-domestic properties.

The purpose of the Regulations is to ensure that properties meet a minimum level of energy performance. This is currently set at an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of E.

The Government has acknowledged that in limited cases not all properties will be able to follow these requirements. Landlords can apply for an exemption. To apply for an exemption, a landlord must:

  • show that they have tried to achieve the Regulations and
  • provide detailed evidence when full compliance was not possible.

Cornwall Council offer a discretionary service for domestic landlords.  We can help apply for the evidence needed to request an exemption:

  • information in the current EPC is used
  • guidance is provided on whether consent for each of the proposed energy efficiency improvements could be obtained.

We supply this guidance within:

  • 30 working days for designated domestic properties
  • 10 working days for all other domestic properties.

There is a charge for this service. Please see our Fees and Charges document for charges and details of how to pay

To request this service please:

Please email any enquiries to or phone 0300 1234 151.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service