Demolitions - control and advice

You must serve a Demolition Notice on the Council six weeks before starting work if:

  • you intend to demolish a building or part of a building and
  • the building is greater than 1750 cubic feet

Please return the demolition notification form by email to

You do not need to pay any fees.

You must also inform the Utility Suppliers and adjoining neighbours who may be affected. Depending on what you are demolishing we would ask you to do some or all of the following:

  1. to shore up any building next to the building to which the notice relates
  2. to weatherproof any surfaces of an adjacent building which are exposed by the demolition
  3. to repair and make good any damage to an adjacent building caused by the demolition or by the negligent act or omission of any person engaged in it
  4. to remove material or rubbish resulting from the demolition and clearance of the site
  5. to disconnect and seal at such points as the Local Authority may reasonably require, any sewer or drain in or under the building
  6. to remove any such sewer or drain, and seal any sewer or drain with which the sewer or drain to be removed is connected
  7. to make good to the satisfaction of the Local Authority the surface of the ground disturbed by anything done under paragraph (e) or (f) above
  8. to make arrangements with the utility suppliers for the disconnection of the supply of gas, electricity and water to the building
  9. to make such arrangements with regard to the burning of structures or materials on the site as may be reasonably required:
    • if the building is or forms part of special premises, by the Health and Safety Executive and the Fire Authority, and in any other case by the Fire authority, and
  10. to ensure steps are taking relating to the site condition and how it is left on completion of the demolition.

The Local Authority may consider necessary for the protection of the public and the preservation of public amenity.

If you are having construction or refurbishment work done, you may need to notify the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). You may have other duties as well. More information is available on the HSE website

Utility supplier contact details

British Telecom

  • National Handling Centre PP 3WW18 Telecom House Trinity Street Hanley Stoke on Trent ST1 5ND
  • Email:

Western Power Distribution

Transco Wales and West Utilities

South West Water Asset Planning

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service