Hearing support

Please read our information on how we are supporting residents and businesses, as well as information on affected services.

The hearing support team provides specialist support for:

  • infants
  • children and
  • young people in Cornwall

whose hearing loss is affecting their education.  

The team also give families, schools and settings advice on managing hearing loss. 

Qualified Teachers of the Deaf visit children and young people at home or in their school / setting to

  • carry out educational audiological assessments
  • observe and work with the individual
  • liaise with the parents and relevant staff.  This is to identify that individual’s educational needs related to their hearing loss
  • provide advice or direct support as appropriate

Radio systems

Radio systems can enhance the listening experience of deaf children and young people. They reduce the impact of background noise and distance from the person speaking. We provide a range of systems which can be found in the available personal radio systems booklet.

Sometimes equipment breaks. This might be because it is old or because something happened. Please report any loss or damage as soon as possible. We can then offer a replacement.  Please phone the Educational Audiology Centre on 01726 61004.  You can also email sensorysupportservice@cornwall.gov.uk.

Information on radio systems from independent organisations can be found on the Ewing Foundation website.

Links to manufacturers of radio systems:

Auxiliary aids and services

Schools have a duty to provide aids and services where it is reasonable.  This is where it would help make things more equal for a student with hearing impairment.  The exception to this is where the aid or service is specified in an Education, Health and Care Plan. It is then Cornwall Council's responsibility to provide the aid or service.

Hearing aids, Bahas, Cochlear Implants

Children/young people and families supported by the team get advice about maintenance of their hearing equipment. You will need to do regular checks. This is to make sure the sound quality is the best it can be. You must contact the provider if there is any loss or damage to hearing aids / BAHAs or cochlear implants. They will decide whether to replace or repair. 

You can find a list of Audiological Services within the other services and sources of information section. 

Ear moulds

Teachers of the Deaf can take ear mould impressions. 

Most referrals to the Hearing Support Team for children under the age of five come from the Audiology Departments. This is after the assessment of a child’s hearing. The Hearing Support Team operates an open referral policy.

Signs of a possible hearing loss:

  • do they have poor speech?
  • do they mispronounce certain words?
  • has their behaviour changed recently?
  • do they understand what people say to them?
  • do you often have to repeat what you said?
  • are they having difficulties at school?

How parents can request advice from a teacher of the deaf

Has an audiologist checked your child’s hearing?

If no:

  • and your child is under 5 years old you will need to contact your Health Visitor
  • and your child is at school you will need to ask the school or your GP to make a referral to a Senior Hearing Screener
  • and your child is at college you will need to ask your GP to make a referral for a hearing test

If yes please contact your child’s educational setting. Ask them to complete both the 

The eligibility criteria for each service is listed on each of these forms. 

If an educationally significant hearing loss is found a Teacher of the Deaf will become involved.

How schools and other agencies can request advice from a teacher of the deaf

If the child has not had their hearing tested you need to request an initial hearing assessment. Please fill out the CHA1S referral form and return it to Treliske Hospital using the address on the form. See also strategies to support pupils with a hearing loss in the educational setting

If the child has:

  • a known hearing loss and 
  • as had their hearing checked by an Audiologist

please complete both the: 

The eligibility criteria for each service is listed on each of these forms.

If an educationally significant hearing loss is found a Teacher of the Deaf will become involved.

How to make a referral for specialist speech and language therapy

A Speech and Language Therapist specialises in working with children with a hearing impairment. The therapist works with children who have a severe to profound hearing loss. Or those who have a cochlear implant.

Your supporting Teacher of the Deaf, in discussion with you and the specialist Speech and Language Therapist, can make a referral. You will need to sign a referral form. Each referral will be considered and processed through a central point. The therapist also offers advice and support to:

  • speech and language therapy colleagues
  • other professionals supporting children with a mild / moderate hearing loss

If you have concerns, discuss these with your local Teacher of the Deaf or community Speech and Language Therapist. They will decide if you need a referral to the specialist Speech and Language Therapist.

Further information can be found within the Speech and Language Therapy booklet.

How to make a referral to the Speech and Language therapy department

If you don't meet the criteria, please refer via:

Suite 7
Carew House
Beacon Technology Park
PL31 2QN

Telephone:  01208 834488

Further information on Speech and Language Therapy.

Here are some services which provide support for deaf children and their families.

Audiology departments

Royal Cornwall Hospital Trust
Audiology Department
Trelawney Wing
Royal Cornwall Hospital (Treliske)

Telephone:  01872 253787

Derriford Hospital
Audiology Department
Level 7 Outpatients
Derriford Hospital
Derriford Road
PL6 8DH 

Telephone: 01752 431251
Email: plh-tr.PlymouthPaediatricAudiology@nhs.net

Barnstaple Hospital
Audiology Department
North Devon District Hospital
Raleigh Park
EX31 4JB 

Audiology Reception: 01271 322476
Audiology email address: ndht.Audiology@nhs.net
Minicom: 01271 322746

Cochlear implant centres

Nottingham Paediatric Cochlear Implant Team
Ropewalk House, 
113 The Ropewalk, 
HG1 6HA. 

Telephone: 0115 9485549

South of England Cochlear Implant Team
University of Southampton, 
SO17 1BJ. 

Telephone:  023 8059 3522

West of England Cochlear Implant Team

Children’s Hearing Center, 
Level D, 
St Michaels Hospital, 
Southwall Street,

Cochlear Implant Team

Guys and St Thomas, 
NSH Trust, 
St Thomas Street, 

Cochlear Implant Programme

Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, 
Great Ormond Street, 
WC1N 3JH. 

Telephone:  020 7405 9200

Newborn hearing screening programme

The NHS Newborn Hearing Screening Programme (NHSP) is for parents. They can access hearing screening for their child within the first few weeks of life.  It is a core service within the NHS in England. It is part of the family of Antenatal and Newborn Screening Programmes.

The NHS Newborn Hearing Screening Programme Centre has published the national findings. Find out about the programme, standards and quality assurance.

Early support

Early support is about improving services for families with young disabled children.  It is a way of working that keeps families at the heart of discussions. You will get to make decisions about your child.

Social care

We provide Specialist Social Workers for Deaf People and specialist equipment. Request from the Multi Agency Referral Unit (MARU) on 0300 123 1116.

For information on supporting your child to access a community club, contact the Social Inclusion Service.

Cornwall Family Information Service (FIS) tel: 0800 587 8191 or fis@cornwall.gov.uk

A range of support is also available from the Children’s and Young People Disability Team.

Voluntary agencies

Hearing Loss Cornwall supports deaf and hearing impaired people in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. 

Telephone:  01872 225868
Textphone:  01872 263664
Email: info@hearinglosscornwall.org

Information on services and activities available to families

A range of useful information is available from the following:

National Deaf Children’s Society

Telephone: 020 7490 8656;
Minicom: 020 7490 8656
Fax: 020 7251 5020
Email: ndcs@ndcs.org.uk

SENSE for deafblind people

Telephone: 0300 330 9256
Fax: 0300 330 9251
Email: info@sense.org.uk
Website: www.sense.org.uk 

Scope for disabled people to have the same opportunities as everyone else.

Telephone: 0808 800 3333
Email:  helpline@scope.org.uk

Action on Hearing Loss

Provides information on equipment for young people with a hearing impairment.  Contact one of the equipment officers at Treliske Hospital: 01872 253746. Action on Hearing Loss information line: 0808 808 0123; email:  informationline@hearingloss.org.uk

Supporting children’s mental health

National Deaf Children’s Mental Health Service

Telephone:  01823 368373
Fax:  01823 368552
Email: ndcamhstaunton@sompar.nhs.uk

National Deaf Children's Society

The National Deaf Children's Society offers a wide range of support to families of deaf children.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service

Give feedback about your experience