Emergency Management is a small team of seven. Part of the role of Emergency Management is to provide Cornwall Council support to the emergency services during the response and recovery from an emergency. We are on call 24 hours a day to co-ordinate the Council's response.
The team has many duties to fulfil in relation to certain legislation (Civil Contingencies Act). These duties include:
- Looking at community risks
- Planning for emergencies
- Responding to emergencies
- Business Continuity management
- Putting in place arrangements to warn and inform the public
- Recovery after an incident
These duties include the following responsibilities:
- Preparing and maintaining a number of Cornwall Council Emergency Plans. This makes sure the council provides an effective, efficient and co-ordinated response to emergencies
- Training Council staff and voluntary agencies to assist in the response to major incidents
- Writing of multi-agency emergency plans
- Testing plans through exercises (live and tabletop) which follow possible scenarios that could affect Cornwall
- Providing general advice to local businesses and voluntary organisations about Business Continuity Management
- Putting in place arrangements to warn and inform the public in the event of an emergency
- Co-ordinating the provision of humanitarian assistance if required in emergencies such as in an event of an evacuation.
Emergency Management - A Summary of what and who is involved in emergencies in Cornwall
We work with many partners including:
- Devon and Cornwall Police
- Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service
- Environment Agency
- Health Service including NHS England and Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust
- Southwest Ambulance Service
- Maritime and Coastguard Agency
- Met Office
Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.
- Emergency Management Team
- Please be aware enquiries received are not monitored 24/7 and these contact details should not be used in the event of an emergency.
- For general enquiries call: 0300 1234 232