Rodents and other pests often cause damage to property. They can also be a health risk via spreading disease (e.g. Weil’s disease due to ‘leptospirosis’ carried by rats).
The Council has a legal duty to:
- take steps to ensure as far as practicable that its own land is kept free from rats and mice.
- and that owners and occupiers of land keep their land similarly free (Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949).
In some cases, the Council may also need “vermin” to be destroyed. Along with other steps such as the cleaning of premises (Public Health Act 1936). Use of these powers generally involves the service of a legal notice requiring the owner or occupier to carry out treatment and/or other related works (such as clearing waste that is attracting rodents).
Different pests are treated in different ways. This is dependent upon the individual circumstances and the nature of the infestation. Please click on the left menu tab for further information on different types of pests.
The Health and Safety Executive have information on the legislation that applies to the supply and use of pesticides.
We offer a pest control service for non-domestic premises such as:
- food businesses
- holiday parks
Cornwall Council does not provide a pest control service for domestic premises
Our service is accredited by the National Pest Technicians Association (NPTA) and includes:
- Free, non-obligatory quotations
- Single treatments of rats, mice, moles, rabbits, wasps, bed bugs, fleas, cluster flies
- Contracted inspections/ treatments
- Review of your existing pest control measures
- Supply and installation of Electric Fly Killers
- Minor building proofing
If you would like a free quotation from our Business Regulatory Support Service:
Phone: 0300 1234 212 (option 3)
Or visit the Pest Control page on the Business Regulatory Services website
Please contact the Environmental Protection Team for further information and advice using the details on this page.
Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.