Skip to content

Report a Flood

If life is at risk due to flooding, call 999 - view our information on dialling 999 in an emergency

How to a report a flood incident depends on the type of flood and where it is. Please follow the right steps so that the issue can be dealt with promptly. 

If you have had to evacuate your home due to flood water then contact Cornwall Council's Emergency Management Team for support. 

To report flooding on or from the A30 or A38 only - please call the National Highways Incident Line on 0300 123 5000.

To report flooding on or from all other roads in Cornwall or if there is an issue with highway drainage the please report to the Cornwall Highways Service. 

Report highway flooding and blocked drains

If reporting flooding from the sea or to a ‘main river’ then use the Rivers layer on the Strategic Flood Risk Assessment map and tick Main River to check which category the watercourse belongs to.

If the flooding is from the sea or a main river then report to the Environment Agency Incident Hotline (24 hrs): 0800 80 70 60.

To report flooding that is not to a main river then Contact Cornwall Council’s 24hr helpline: 0300 1234 222

Flooding linked to public sewers or a burst water main should be reported to South West Water either by telephoning 0344 346 2020 or online:

Report issue to South West Water

Report Sewer Flooding to South West Water

To report flooding or muddy run off from fields and farmland you should contact the Environment Agency's Land Management Team. Please email:

If you require an immediate response (if the issue is causing a serious flood or pollution incident) you will need to ring the Environment Agency on 0800 807060. Make sure you state that it must be passed to the Devon and Cornwall Land Management Team and give the following details:

  • Location (National Grid Reference).
  • Brief description of incident.
  • Impact (property, watercourse, infrastructure).
  • Photos or videos. Try to get a photo of where the runoff is coming from.


If you are reporting flooding that involved mud, debris or spillage on a road then this can be reported online to Cornwall Councils Highways

Report mud, debris or spillages on the road

 You can help by reporting recent or historic flood incidents on the Flood Online Reporting Tool (FORT). If you are reporting an incident where:

  • five or more properties have flooded internally or
  • at least one property has flooded internally and also flooded internally within the last five years

a Section 19 Flood Investigation Report will need to be published by Cornwall Council.

Do not use the FORT link below to:

  • report an emergency situation or
  • alert us to current flooding that requires an immediate response

Report a flood incident using the FORT portal

For advice on what to do in the event of a flood or if you are at risk of flooding. Please refer to the Flood Advice page.

For more emergency contacts and information visit: Cornwall Community Flood Forum website.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service