Free disabled parking when you dont pay car tax

Please be aware that Information Services (formally One Stop Shops) are currently unable to take payment and are not able to forward documents in the mail. All permits and the required proof can be posted to the address details provided on the application form.

From 1 December 2020 there are changes to timescales for processing your online applications. Please read the information below carefully

This scheme allows those who have a Blue Badge to park for free in our Pay and Display, and Pay on Exit car parks for a year. To be eligible for the scheme you must have a vehicle registered for NIL/Disabled tax.  You will also need to provide a copy of:

  • the V5C (vehicle log document) document (please ensure the copy you send shows the NIL/Disabled tax class) , Or
  • the New vehicles Motability confirmation letter which must show the new registration number 

It is appreciated that Motability customers may not hold the original V5C document. However, Motability are more than happy to provide the necessary information. You can do this via the Motability website.

We cannot accept any other documentation and V5C’s which have the new address handwritten on will be refused. This scheme is not limited to Cornish residents. 

View the terms and conditions to see how the disabled exemption scheme tickets work

Will I have to pay to register?

To maintain this as a cost-neutral service we need to make a small charge to register a vehicle. This cost is currently £10 per year.  

There is a different scheme for registering if you have a Blue Badge and an adapted vehicle for a disabled person.  

Do I need to apply or renew in advance?

Yes, at least 7 days.  Parking cannot be made to start immediately.

When using our online system ZatPermit you will see that you cannot select your ticket to start on a date less than 7 days in advance. 

We are now checking the eligibility documents you submit for the scheme before we take payments and that can take up to 7 days. It is very important you apply in advance of when you need to start parking. 

How can I apply/renew my registration with the scheme?

You can register/renew an application with us using the ZatPermit link below.  If you have not used ZatPermits before you will need to create an account. Please keep details of your account login and password as you will need it again.

You must have your V5C document or Motability letter ready to attach to your application each year you register.

Your application needs to be checked and approved. When you apply you will get an email to confirm your application has been received. Please do not park until after you have paid and have another email to confirm you can park.  

 ZatPermit - Register/renew your vehicle online or login to your accountParking Services Data Protection information 

If you are unable to apply using ZatPermit or dont have anyone who can use the system for you, please contact 0300 1234 222.  

Check the details of your registration

You can use the link above any time you need to, to check the details of your registration for the scheme. In your account you can find full details of your registration including:

  • the expiry date
  • whether your payment for your application has been successful

When do I make payment and when can I park?    

If your application for the scheme is approved you will get a second email (up to 7 days later) to confirm we have approved your permit.  In that email there will be a link so that you can make your £10 payment securely online.  

You can only park once you have paid for your permit and received a third email. Please do not park until you receive the third email to confirm you are valid to park. 

It is very important that you only provide the documents as detailed above.  If you provide any other documents we will not be able to approve your application. It will also delay the date on which you may be able to start parking.

Do I still need to display my Blue Badge if I have registered?

If you park a registered vehicle in a Cornwall Council car park you must still display a valid Blue Badge and clock. You must also abide by the other appropriate rules. Failure to do so and you could be subject to receiving a penalty charge notice.

How do I change my vehicle details? 

Changes to vehicles registration details are free. You will need to provide a copy of the new V5C document. Please read the terms and conditions.

Changes cannot be completed via ZatPermit. To request a change please email attaching your new document. Or call 0300 1234 222 for advice or to send a message to the Permit Team. Changes to our system can take up to 5 days to process so they need to be advised in advance.  

I have to apply each year, how do I register again?

You can apply via ZatPermit each year.  When you do that you can choose either the SMS (a 10p charge applies) and/or the free email option to get a reminder.  For those who do not use ZatPermit a reminder letter will automatically be sent via the post . 

We must have confirmation that you are eligible for the Scheme each year so you will need to provide a V5C or Motability confirmation letter again . 

How does the exemption scheme work?

You will not receive a permit to display in your vehicle as we use an electronic system. Once approved, the vehicle details will be automatically loaded onto the Enforcement Officers hand-held devices. When checking our car parks they will be able to see that the vehicle is registered and does not require a pay and display ticket.

Adapted vehicles 

There is a different free parking exemption scheme for the disabled if you have an adapted vehicle. You may need to register with us for this if you are wanting to use some of our car parks. Information about the scheme can be found on our page How to register if you have a vehicle adapted vehicle for a disabled person

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service