Blue Badge holders who use a specially adapted disabled vehicle need to register their vehicle with us to continue to park without paying in our car parks. There is a £10 admin fee to register.
The scheme allows those who have a Blue Badge and Adapted Vehicle to park for free in our Pay and Display and our Pay on Exit (barrier) car parks. To qualify for the annual permit you will need to apply and be registered with us.
There are many adaptations to vehicles for a disabled person's use which could make it eligible for this exemption. Unfortunately there are too many to list on this page so to check whether your vehicle might be eligible please see the eligible disabled vehicle common adaptations document.
If the adaptations to the vehicle you are wishing to register are not detailed on that page but you believe it might be eligible for the adapted vehicle free parking exemption, please email us at email@example.com and we will advise you further.
You can apply/renew a permit application with us using the online permit system link below. If you have not used online permit system before you will need to create an account. Please keep details of your account login and password as you will need it again. Once you have submitted your application you will receive an email confirming we have received it.
You will be able to complete an application online and upload your evidence of the vehicle's adaptation(s).
Alternatively you can request an application form by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our Contact Centre on 0300 1234 222.
Information you will be required to provide to us is:
- A copy of the front and back of your Blue Badge (please do not send originals). Due to Data Protection regulations the Parking Permit team are not legally allowed to access the Blue Badge system and so unfortunately we do have to ask you to provide this for us,
- and one of the documents listed below
- Documentation which provides detail of the adaptations made to the vehicle e.g. Motability letter detailing the works completed to the vehicle.
- Photographic evidence of the adaptations made to the vehicle. Please note that one of the photos MUST be one fully showing the outside of the vehicle and its registration number plate.
If you are unable to scan the documents, photos of them will be sufficient.
If your application is approved you will get a second email (up to 5 working days later) to confirm you have been approved for your permit. In that email there will be a link to make your £10 payment securely online.
You can only park once you have paid for your permit and received a third email confirming your payment and permit details.
It is very important that you only provide the documents as detailed above. If you provide any other documents we will not be able to approve your application. It will also delay the date on which you may be able to start parking.
View the terms and conditions to see how the adapted vehicle permit scheme works.
Changes cannot be completed via the online permit system. We are happy to change your vehicle details for you free of charge and you can do that by emailing email@example.com or calling 0300 1234 222, but you will need to provide the evidence of the vehicle adaptations. Changing vehicle details will also take up to 5 working days to process so please contact us in well in advance.
Do I have to renew the permit every year?
Yes, for vehicles registered on the adapted vehicle scheme you will need to renew your permit and provide your evidence each year. You can use the link above for the online permit system or contact the Permit Team for an application form.
How does the exemption scheme work?
You will not receive a permit to display in your vehicle as we use an electronic system. Once approved, the vehicle details will be automatically loaded onto the Enforcement Officers hand-held devices. When checking our car parks they will be able to see that the vehicle is registered and does not require a pay and display ticket.
I don't have an adapted vehicle, will I still get a free hour car parking using my Blue Badge?
- Yes if you use the over 100 standard Pay and Display car parks - if you pay the normal car park fee you will continue to automatically get an additional one hours parking added to the time you have paid for BUT
- No if you park in any of the Pay on Exit (barrier) car parks. The Blue Badge systems permits the badge to be transferred between various vehicles and it is not feasible to operate a system that allows for this.
Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.