Blue Badge holders who use a specially adapted disabled vehicle need to register their vehicle with us to continue to park without paying in our car parks. There is no charge to register.
New technology needed to operate the car parks means adapted vehicles need to be registered for the scheme. We want to continue to provide free parking for users of adapted vehicles so these need to be registered with us.
There are many adaptations to vehicles for a disabled person's use which could make it eligible for this exemption. Unfortunately there are too many to list on this page so to check whether your vehicle might be eligible please see the eligible disabled vehicle common adaptations document.
If the adaptations to the vehicle you are wishing to register are not detailed on that page but you believe it might be eligible for the adapted vehicle free parking exemption, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will advise you further.
You will need to complete an application form and provide us with evidence of your vehicle's adaptation/s. You can request that form by emailing us at email@example.com . We can then email or post an application form to you.
In the email please let us know:-
- The name you want to register the vehicle under
- Your full postal address and preferred contact phone number
- If you want the form sent by email – please confirm which email to send it to (please note you will need to print the form, complete it and either post or scan it to return by email to us)
- Or, let us know if you want the form sent by post
Alternatively you can call our Contact Centre on 0300 1234 222 so that a message with the details above can be sent to us.
Information is detailed on the form, but you will need to send two pieces of evidence to us:
- A copy of your Blue Badge (please do not send originals). Due to Data Protection regulations the Parking Permit team are not legally allowed to access the Blue Badge system and so unfortunately we do have to ask you to provide this for us
- and one of the documents listed below
- Documentation which provides detail of the adaptations made to the vehicle e.g. Motability letter specifying works completed; OR
- Photographic evidence of the adaptations made to the vehicle. Please note that one of the photos MUST be one fully showing the outside of the vehicle and its registration number plate.
If you are unable to scan the documents, photos of them will be sufficient.
Registrations will take up to 10 working days for us to process. When we have registered your vehicle on the system you will receive an email or letter by post to confirm that registration is complete. You will not be able to park for free in Pay on Exit car parks until you receive this.
We are happy to change your vehicle details for you free of charge and you can do that by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 0300 1234 222, but you will need to provide the two pieces of evidence again. Changing vehicle details will also take up to 10 days to process so please contact us in well in advance.
Do I have to register every year?
No, for vehicles registered on the adapted vehicle scheme your vehicle registration will stay on our system until you advise us you wish it to be removed or have changed vehicles.
I don't have an adapted vehicle, will I still get a free hour car parking using my Blue Badge?
- Yes if you use the over 100 standard Pay and Display car parks - if you pay the normal car park fee you will continue to automatically get an additional one hours parking added to the time you have paid for BUT
- No if you park in any of the new Pay on Exit car parks. The Blue Badge systems permits the badge to be transferred between various vehicles and it is not feasible to operate a system that allows for this.
Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.