How to register for free parking if you have a vehicle adapted for a disabled person

Blue Badge holders who use a specially adapted disabled vehicle now need to register their vehicle with us to continue to park without paying in our new Pay on Exit car parks. There is no charge to register.

In all other standard Council Pay and Display car parks it is not necessary to register with us to gain free parking for adapted vehicles for a disabled person.

Why do I need to register my Adapted Vehicles now?

Customers who drive a specially adapted vehicle did not previously have to register with us as our enforcement officers are trained to spot those vehicles and automatically recognise they can park for free.  However new technology needed to operate the new Pay on Exit car parks does not make this possible any longer. As we want to continue to provide free parking for users of adapted vehicles these now need to be registered with us so we can input the details into our new system.

I am a Blue Badge holder do I need to register to use Pay on Exit car parks?

Yes, only if you are a Blue Badge holder and have an adapted vehicle and think you will ever wish to park in one of our Pay on Exit car parks. The current list of Pay on Exit car parks can be found here.

No, if:

  • you are a Blue Badge holder and have an adapted vehicle and don’t believe you will ever use any of the Pay on Exit car parks in the future.  Before you decide not to register, please be aware that registration can take 10 working days, so if you did ever need to use them we would need advance notice 
  • if you are a Blue Badge holder and are already registered with us under the Disabled Parking Exemption scheme then you do not need to register with us to be able to use the Pay on Exit car parks.  We will already have your vehicle registration details and our technology will automatically recognise that you are entitled to free parking.  You will just need to ensure you continue to register for the Disabled Scheme on a yearly basis as you do now. 
  • if you are a blue badge holder who is not entitled to register with us for free parking with the Disabled Parking Exemption Scheme i.e. because you are not entitled to NIL/Disabled tax,  or you do not have an adapted vehicle, then please do not apply to register with us.

What adaptations are eligible for free parking?  

There are many adaptations to vehicles for a disabled person's use which could make it eligible for this exemption. Unfortunately there are too many to list on this page so to check whether your vehicle might be eligible please see the eligible disabled vehicle common adaptations document.  

If the adaptations to the vehicle you are wishing to register are not detailed on that page but you believe it might be eligible for the adapted vehicle free parking exemption, please email us at and we will advise you further.  

What do I need to do to register my adapted vehicle?

You will need to complete an application form and provide us with evidence of your vehicle's adaptation/s.  You can request that form by emailing us at . We can then email or post an application form to you.

In the email please let us know:-

  • The name you want to register the vehicle under
  • Your full postal address and preferred contact phone number 
  • If you want the form sent by email – please confirm which email to send it to (please note you will need to print the form, complete it and either post or scan it to return by email to us)   
  • if you want the form sent by post 

Alternatively you can call our Contact Centre on 0300 1234 222 so that a message with the details above can be sent to us. 

What evidence will I need to return with my form?

Information is detailed on the form, but you will need to send two pieces of evidence to us: 

  • A copy of your Blue Badge (please do not send originals) . NB Due to Data Protection regulations the Parking Permit team are not legally allowed to access the Blue Badge system and so unfortunately we do have to ask you to provide this for us 
  • and one of the documents listed below
    • Documentation which provides detail of the adaptations made to the vehicle  e.g. Motability letter specifying works completed ;  OR
    • Photographic evidence of the adaptations made to the vehicle. Please note that one of the photos MUST be one fully showing the outside of the vehicle and its registration number plate.  

If you are unable to scan the documents, photos of them will be sufficient. 

When will I be registered and how will I know?

Registrations will take up to 10 working days for us to process. When we have registered your vehicle on the system you will receive an email or letter by post to confirm that registration is complete. You will not be able to park for free in Pay on Exit car parks until you receive this.

What if I change my vehicle ? 

We are happy to change your vehicle details for you free of charge and you can do that by emailing or calling 0300 1234 222, but you will need to provide the two pieces of evidence again. Changing vehicle details will also take up to 10 days to process so please contact us in well in advance.

Do I have to register every year?

No, your vehicle registration will stay on our system until you advise us you wish it to be removed or have changed vehicles. 

I don't have an adapted vehicle, will I still get a free hour car parking using my Blue Badge?

  • Yes if you use the over 100 standard Pay and Display car parks - if you pay the normal car park fee you will continue to automatically get an additional one hours parking added to the time you have paid for BUT
  • No if you park in any of the new Pay on Exit car parks. The Blue Badge systems permits the badge to be transferred between various vehicles and it is not feasible to operate a system that allows for this.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service